Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus Hardcover – Oct 15 2008
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
1. I noticed the listing of the words have been updated. The listing of words are now printed in a slightly bolder typeface - making it easier to pick out the meaning.
2. The word headings themselves are slightly larger...again making it simpler to locate definitions on the page.
3. The page layout seems to be cleaner. When you open up any page...you'll quickly notice how much nicer the structured plan is for showing words.
There is one more caveat I'd like to mention. I believe this new version, although labeled "Second Edition", should be considered a revision to the first one and not realistically a new printing. I say this because the jacket description mentions the same number of words are incorporated, namely the listing of 300,000 synonyms. There is no mention of "new" synonyms added to this "Second" printing. Otherwise the editors of this edition would have mentioned the addition of newer synonyms added to this edition. Remember, The Synonym Finder, another good resource, has a much higher listing of synonyms than the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus...about 1.2 million.
Overall, the Second Edition to the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus is a much cleaner, easier version to use.
However, it doesn't seem to even remotely approach Rodale's "The Synonym Finder" in completeness, so I don't understand why other reviewers are waxing batty over this one. It has a pleasant layout, nice on the eyes, but I still find myself turning to "The Synonym Finder" as my first choice. It's just bigger, bolder, and broader. "The Synonym Finder" is the real "writer's" thesaurus, if any one is.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Writing Skills
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Writing Skills