Past Time, Past Place: GIS for History Paperback – Apr 1 2002
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
There's a case study of immigration patterns in Manhattan in the twentieth century, showing how they varied not only through space, but also through time. You can literally see (in the maps developed by the authors) how immigrants self-segregated into different ethnic neighbourhoods, and how the nature of those neighbourhoods evolved over time. You can also see how the construction of the rail/subway system acted as a pressure-release valve on the population of Manhattan, allowing people to move out to the other boroughs, with corresponding drop in the population density on the island.
There's an analysis of the Salem witch trials, in which not only are the locations of the accusers and accused shown in geographic relation to each other, but by overlaying other kinds of information, a strong case is made that the trials were possibly more the by-product of inter-family feuds in an era of social turmoil, than of mere hysteria among young girls.
There are several other studies, each one rich in data overlays, and interesting in its own way. I'm no historian, and quite new to GIS, but to my mind, this is exciting stuff! It's given me lots of ideas.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Software Engineering > Information Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > History
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > Business > GIS
- Books > History > Historical Study > Historiography
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Remote Sensing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology
- Books > Travel