- Product Dimensions: 3.6 x 10.9 x 6.1 cm ; 186 g
- Shipping Weight: 839 g
- Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
- Item model number: RZ-18OR
- ASIN: B005MM3X0U
- Date first available at Amazon.ca: Sept. 13 2011
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #350,137 in Electronics (See Top 100 in Electronics)
Pentax Optio RZ18 16 MP Digital Camera with 18X Extra Wide Optical Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD Screen (Orange) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- Powerful 18X extra wide optical zoom lens, equivalent to 25-450 mm focal length, can easily handle a wide variety of subjects and scenes
- High resolution 16 megapixel sensor for detailed images, large print sizes and cropping flexibility
- Large 30-inch LCD with 460,000 dot resolution for easy composition and playback of still images and video
- Multiple PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) image stabilization options, including sensor-shift SR, for sharp images in any lighting
- Powerful automatic shooting modes such as Auto Picture and scene modes take the guesswork out of great photography
The PENTAX Optio RZ18 digital compact camera offers the ultimate in lens zoom flexibility in a slim, lightweight, travel-friendly body design. With a powerful 18X extra wide optical zoom that can handle a wide variety of subjects and occasions — from travel and landscape to action and sports, a high-resolution 16 MP sensor, 3.0-inch LCD and HD movie capture, the Optio RZ18 offers an ideal blend of style, powerful functions and outstanding picture quality.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
A lot of the camera details were not surprising for an inexpensive camera. Right out of the box I got the immediate impression of CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. While many cameras have a lot of plastic in them, most are pretty good at making the finish look and feel like metal. With the RX18, the manufacturer brooks no such dishonesty. The shell looks and feels like thin gauge plastic. There is no exposure or focusing bracketing. There is no RAW mode. The video mode is limited to HD 1280X720 instead of a full 1920X1080. The lens cannot zoom during filming. One has to stop the filming, change the zoom, and then resume taping. None of this is surprising for a cheap camera. What did impress me was the huge 18X zoom range--the 35mm equivalent of 25mm wide angle to a powerful 450mm telephoto. I checked images at both ends of the zoom range as well as near the middle and was impressed with the overall sharpness. Autofocus was reasonably fast and very accurate. Noise was acceptable at the base ISO of 80. The RX-18 produces a largish 16 MP image file. With the small sensor in the RX-18 (and every other superzoom,) the images starts to falter at about 12 MP. As may be expected, the 16 MP images produced by the RX-18 looked like, well, 12 MP images that had been blown up to 16MP. I doesn't degrade the final picture, but its just useless resolution.
Then I discovered the sound recorder. A number of cameras offer this feature, but I can now make voice notes at a touch by coupling this feature with a provided "green" programmable button. The sound was very tinny and low quality when played back through the camera but when the resulting WAV file was run on the computer, the sound was actually very good.
Then I discovered a feature that really brightened my day. The flower icon on the four-way controller brought up a menu that offered not only a macro mode but "Super" macro mode--and super it was. I do a lot of science photography and it involves a great deal of close-up work. In my test, this camera focused to less than an inch with the lens zoomed out to its widest. A 49mm lens cap was just sufficient to fill the field of view at closest focus.
The camera was manufactured in Indonesia.
Our first purchase of this exact model when sour. Something happened, explainable, and the camera died. It seemed not repairable.
But we still like the camera so much that we bought it again and just got a protection plan with it.
Takes awesome pics and vids. allows you to zoom while taking vids, a lot of cameras don't do that. Great color. Lots of customizable settings if you want them, but you don't have to use any if you don't want.
It's a made well case will give update with my camera ventures
Very light. Come with battery and charger, cable for TV connection and USB + disc