Petretti's Coca-Cola Collectibles Price Guide: The Encyclopedia of Coca-Cola Collectibles Hardcover – Dec 19 2008
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1) The back index is as bad as they come. Totally incomplete.
2) You want to find a certain tray? Be prepared to bounce from one end of the book to the other looking for what you need. There is no apparent logic to the way this guide is arranged. I'm sure the author felt it was completely logical, but his logic escapes me.
3) The front index is just painful to figure out. There is a usability book out there called "Don't Make Me Think". The author of this Coke guide should study it.
4) Too much rhetoric and opinion about "fantasy" items. I find this section of the guide painful to sift through. Just the facts, please. And then there's the illogical order of everything <heavy sigh>.
The best that can be said about this guide is that it's big. It is poorly organized and has way too many omissions to be my primary guide. If a 12th edition ever comes out, I'm going to check it out before buying, to see if these problems have been fixed.
I much prefer Wilsons' guide over this one.
I do question the pricing of these items, however. I don't see how everything can continually increase in price from one edition to another, especially when you consider internet sales activity (a very large part of Coca Cola memorabilia sales nowadays). As a collector, I never pay at price-levels shown in this edition, and I certainly do not obtain these prices when I occasionally sell an item off on an internet auction site. I just feel that the prices are a bit inflated. No one could keep track of the huge amounts of Coca Cola memorabilia sales in all venues around the country. I tend to take pricing in guidebooks with a grain of salt, especially, as in this case, when the author is also a major collector. Just a little too much potential for conflict of interest.
I did find some inconsistancies in item pricing (Litchfield bottle pg 398 - $70 and same item pg 400 - $55, pg 152 item pcs108.000 - $1300 and same item pcs108.000 pg 87 - $1000). Given that this book has become the "bible" for Coca-Cola collecting - these inconsistancies can cause some problems...
I could overlook some of the pricing errors - heck there's thousands and thousands of items and no one is perfect. But the real problem I have is how high the prices are for all of the items.
Let me get on my soapbox for a minute and conclude by saying that I've been collecting 1890's - 1930's Coca Cola items for the past 20 years and have acquired a pretty extensive collection. I have to say that in my humble opinion the prices that are in this book are dangerously overstated - perhaps in an attempt to help us older guys as we approach retirement. Afterall, we are the one's that acquired the vintage, quality items inexpensively in the early days... In the end I'm not sure its working -- in fact I think the prices have begun to fall!!! One only has to look at the prices being realized on auction sites like ebay to see what I mean - even the "near mint" items don't even come close to the prices in the 10th edition, let alone those in the 11th. Many desirable items have no activity because of greedy sellers that set minimum prices that are out of sync with demand.
I think the high pricing in guides like this actually harms the market, since most collectors can no longer afford the older, quality items.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
There is a ton of information on collectible items. It's an excellent reference book on anything Coca Cola with clear illustrations on what to look for in a rare collectable vs a... Read morePublished 23 months ago by Pat Knecht
Almost perfect:) front to back it's worth the time ! I recommend it...buy it...keep it...enjoy it! Read read read then you will know what you're looking for:)Published on June 26 2014 by jd maclean
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Antiques & Collectibles > Advertising > Coca-Cola
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Antiques & Collectibles > Americana
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Antiques & Collectibles > Popular Culture
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Antiques & Collectibles
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Art
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture > Americana
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture > Collectibles