- Hardcover: 192 pages
- Publisher: Rizzoli (Sept. 15 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0847819698
- ISBN-13: 978-0847819690
- Product Dimensions: 21.3 x 2.5 x 28.7 cm
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 Kg
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,689,525 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Picasso Bon Vivant Hardcover – Sep 15 1996
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Behold the Dreamers" is an unforgettable debut novel about a family's struggle to make a new life in America from author Imbolo Mbue. Learn more
An unexpected collusion of sorts with the recent release of the movie Surviving Picasso (starring Anthony Hopkins) is French journalist Herscher's portrait of the artist as a gourmand. Despite the title, she tracks Picasso's life, warts and all, in three geographic segments--Spain, Paris, and the Midi--without an overt emphasis on food. Friendships, artistic growth, and romantic liaisons are the main courses; if capped by memories and notes on meals, so much the better. Familiar names--Apollinaire, the Steins, Cocteau, et al.--and familiar works parade through this heavily illustrated reverie. And so do more than 50 recipes, all symbolic of the artist's ties to three locales. A feast for the eyes but not necessarily for the stomach. Barbara Jacobs
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
I have many Picasso books, and this one didn't fail to amuse and enlighten me with many facts, and photos I hadn't seen.
Well-written by Ermine Herscher with Agnes Carbonell, beautiful food photos by Dennis Amon and Marianne Lemince. Thanks to Rizolli, we have the English verison that is wonderful.
Simply put, if Picasso or fine European dining are on your agenda, or more perfectly, both and the history of Picasso's rise to fame in Paris, then get one for yourself, and think of it as a perfect UNDER $10 GIFT. There are many used like new in that price range.
Anyone you give it to will thank you profusely, and hopefully, invite you over to enjoy one of the many full dinners profiled in its glorious pages.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Culinary
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Gastronomy
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Regional & International > European > European
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Regional & International > European > Italian
- Books > History > Europe > France
- Books > History > Europe > Spain