A Polish Book of Monsters Paperback – Dec 23 2010
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book contains five stories:
* 'Yoo Retoont, Sneogg. Ay Noo' (org. 'Wróciee' Sneogg, wiedziaam...') by Marek Huberath (excerpts: [...])
* 'Key of Passage' (org. 'Klucz przej'cia') by Tomasz Ko'odziejczak
* 'The Iron General' (org. 'Ruch genera'a') by Jacek Dukaj (excerpts: [...])
* 'A Cage Full of Angels' (org. 'Klatka pe'na anio'ów') by Andrzej Zimniak (excerpts: [...])
* 'Spellmaker' (org. 'Wied'min') by Andrzej Sapkowski
I have read three of those stories in Polish, all were quite good, with the Iron General being excellent (as almost anything written by Dukaj). A thing to note about 'Spellmaker' - it has already been published in English, although under a different title and by a different translator ("Witcher" in "The Last Wish", tr. Danuta Stok). This is the only disappointing feature here, not because it is a bad story, but because I wish Kandel would translate something that hasn't been translated yet. While I haven't read the particular Zimniak's and Ko'odziejczak's stories published here, they are both well known writers, and I've read and enjoyed other stories by them.
Kandel, the editor and translator of this volume, is known to be one of the best Polish-to-English translators. This book contains five very good to excellent stories, and is one of the rare instances when something gets translated into English. Take the opportunity to sample what you are missing... it doesn't come often.