- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Political Thought in Europe, 1250-1450 Hardcover – Dec 9 2005
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Not only does Political Thought in Europe, 1250-1450 fill an important gap, but it does so with grace, clarity and vision." Cary J. Nederman, The Review of Politics
"The two salient qualities of Political Thought in Europe, 1250-1450 are, first, that it is the product of rethinking, as opposed to being one more restatement of received knowledge, and, second, that it is free of any pet interpretations. Antony Black has no place for ascending and descending theories of authority, as a way of categorizing different concepts of sovereignty, or for Aristotle's political doctrines as the basis of the medieval political outlook. Indeed, he recognizes that there was no single medieval outlook. He also rightly rejects such outdated stereotypes as the corporate character of medieval society." Gordon Leff, Times Literary Supplement
The thinkers, Aquinas, Marsiglio, Ockham, Wyclif and Cusa, as well as prevalent notions of church and state, empire and local sovereignty, civic and communal self-government, etc. emerge in this introduction to a period of vital importance in the formation of modern world values.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > History & Theory
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Political History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Systems Of Government
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Political History