An interesting anthology of 10 short stories of mixed genres. There is something for every taste here -- from the very creepy to the absurdly funny.
Most of the stories are very good, athough I failed to connect with a couple of them that left me cold and uninterested. The ones I particularly enjoyed were:
* Pond life -- the title tale that defintiely has a Stephen King feel to it.
* The Obsessives Club -- a very unique and original vision of the after-life.
* The Ruby Slippers - a Wizard of Oz quality about it.
* Mere Survival -- a chilling tale about three escapees from a Soviet Gulag.
* The Barton Method -- Many of us have experienced neighbours like this. Provides a good laugh.
The writing is sharp with lean prose, good descriptive passages. It is a quick read. I polished it off in two nights.
There is also an extract from Sam Kates's new novel THE VILLAGE OF LOST SOULS which definitely shows potential and hooks the reader.
Overall I was very impressed with this collection of stories and found them an enjoyable read. Highly recommended.
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1703 KB
- Print Length: 122 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1912718154
- ISBN-13: 978-1912718153
- ASIN: B07BMKNKWF
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Customer Reviews: 14 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,600,523 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?