Compare Offers on Amazon
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
Mary Poppins (Widescreen) (Bilingual)
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
There is only one word that comes close to accurately describing the enchanting Mary Poppins, and that term was coined by the movie itself: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Even at 2 hours and 20 minutes, Disney's pioneering mixture of live action and animation (based on the books by P.L. Travers) still holds kids spellbound. Julie Andrews won an Oscar as the world's most magically idealized nanny ("practically perfect in every way," and complete with lighter-than-air umbrella), and Dick Van Dyke is her clownishly charming beau, Bert the chimney sweep. The songs are also terrific, ranging from bright and cheery ("A Spoonful of Sugar") to dark and cheery (the Oscar-winning "Chim Chim Cher-ee") to touchingly melancholy ("Feed the Birds"). Many consider Mary Poppins to be the crowning achievement of Walt Disney's career--and it was the only one of his features to be nominated for a best picture Academy Award until Beauty and the Beast in 1991. --Jim Emerson --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
• The movie received 13 Academy Award(R) nominations and won 5 Oscars(R) for Best Actress, Best Song, Best Music Score, Best Film Editing, and Best Special Visual Effects. It also received a special scientific award for the creation and application of Color Traveling Matte Composite Cinematography, which helped make the combination of live action and animated actors in the film possible.
• The special effects work on the film was the most challenging the studio had known. Everything from the two-strip sodium process and piano wire to bungee cords were used to create the magic sequences.
• The film began its fabulous box office run at a lavish premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater on August 27, 1964, becoming Disney's most successful feature at that time.
• At the film's premiere, Pamela Travers, author of the "Mary Poppins" stories, approached Disney and commented, "Miss Andrews is satisfactory as Mary Poppins, but Mr. Van Dyke is all wrong, and I don't really like mixing the little cartoon figures with the live actors. When do we start cutting it?" Disney didn't change a thing.
• Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, meaning fantastic or excellent, is not the longest word in the English language. The 45-letter pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokonios, a special form of silicosis caused by ultra-microscopic particles of siliceous volcanic dust, is.
• "The Simpsons" spoofed the movie with an episode featuring a housekeeper named Sherry Bobbins. Unfortunately, she wasn't as successful as Mary Poppins in reforming the family -- or getting away at the end! --This text refers to an alternate DVD edition.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The menu which loops a sequence from the movie, looks very nice on the blu-ray, ugly on the DVD (someone at Disney needs glasses). Once you put the disk on the player be ready to press "skip" because you will be bombarded with crappy ads! Does anyone actually watch these things?
The box mentions a making-of documentary, although I can't find it anywhere.
Julie Andrews stars as the nanny and Dick Van Dyke as the lovable cockney Bert, (just forgive his dreadful accent) who always seems to be around at the right time for an adventure. The children find themselves having outings such as jumping into a chalk picture into a cartoon world, having a tea-party on a ceiling and dancing across the rooftops of London. Stuffed to the gills with songs such as 'Spoonful of Sugar', 'Chim Chim Cheree', 'Feed the Birds' and 'Jolly Holiday', this will have you tapping your foot throughout.
This 40th anniversary edition is on 2 discs and features lots of extras such as a documentary, commentary, footage of the premieres etc. The quality of print is very high, the colours have never looked so vibrant and the picture is razor sharp. Wonderful stuff.
Mary Poppins pops onto blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.66:1 encode. The digital restoration by Disney is simply fantastic. Grain levels are intact and filmic. Colour reproduction is bright, bold, and accurate - especially the fanciful cartoon sequences. Contrast is dynamic and blacks are inky. Image resolution and details are excellent. Human faces and other clothing textures are impressive. You'll see individual hair follicles, wrinkles, and even makeup effects on the Senior Mr. Dawes. (4.5/5)
Mary Poppins dances and sings its way onto blu ray with a robust English 7.1 DTS-HD MA sound mix. Dialogue is crystal clear and neatly prioritized at all times; effects are crisp and mischievous; and Richard and Robert Sherman's unforgettable songs have quite simply never sounded better, fuller or more engaging. Dynamic range is just average. There are even a few wonderful moments, like exploding fireworks during Step in Time, where all nine channels spring to life with active, almost-aggressive panning, and my two subwoofers thundered. (4.5/5)
In 1965, out of 13 nominations, Mary Poppins won 5 Oscars: Best Actress (Julie Andrews), Best Film Editing, Best Special Visual Effects, Best Original Song (Chim Chim Cher-ee), and Best Original Score (Richard and Robert Sherman). It was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Colour Cinematography, Best Set Direction – Colour, Best Costume, Best Sound and Best Music Score.
Mary Poppins has an estimated budget of $6 million, but grossed $102 million, which is phenomenal by today’s standards.
Mary Poppins is a top tier catalog title we've been long waiting to see on blu ray.Read more ›
This is one of the best re-releases of this year.The movie is STILL(and will be for years to come) an aural and visual delight and designed for families and people of all ages.
Interweaving a wonderful story with some groundbreaking techniques and special effects Disney took/takes us on a magical ride in a recreated slice of life from 1910.
The story,by now familiar to many,involves the arrival to the Banks household of a nanny(Julie Andrews).In short order she manages to shake the prim and proper Banks household to its Edwardian core and teaches them,especially the "master" of his realm Mr.Banks(David Tomlinson),that there are more important things in life than strict adherence to schedule,rules and blind duty to ones'job.Bert(Dick Van Dyke),a friend to Mary,assists her whenever and wherever he can.
Julie Andrews plays her character with a wonderful reserve befitting the part and she sings beautifully.Whenever Mary gets too stodgy though Bert,played phenomenally by Dick Van Dyke,is always there to ease the atmosphere and put a smile on everyones' face.
The entire cast from the children,the servants to the admiral and the policeman all turn in a superb supporting job from beginning to end.
The restored print and accompanying sound track have been given the deluxe Disney treatment.Visually I have not seen as good a print of this film since I first saw it during its' premier in Toronto in late 1964.The versions I have seen over the years either on TV or on video just don't come close to this one.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
It was "supercalafragalisticexpialladocious"! Grandkids were singing along.Published 1 day ago by Bruce/Susanne
Always a great movie can't wait to sit and watch with my Grandson when he is old enough.Published 2 days ago by Tom
One of the best family films of all time. I still live it almost 40 years after first seeing it. The songs stick with you and the kids.Published 9 days ago by Shaunny Cache
Le Blu-ray est magnifique, fait revivre de tres bons souvenirs avec Julie Andrews et Dick Van Dyke, recommandé pour toute la famille !Published 18 days ago by ANDRE PROVOST
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Animation > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Classics > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Classics > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies fantastiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies musicales
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Comédie
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Fantastique, Horreur et Science-fiction
- Movies & TV > En français > Fantastique, Horreur et Science-fiction > Fantastique
- Movies & TV > En français > Spectacles, Musique et Humour > Comédies musicales
- Movies & TV > En français > Spectacles, Musique et Humour > Films musicaux
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 10-12 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 3-6 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > 7-9 Years > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Adapted from Books
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Animation
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Disney > All Disney Titles
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Disney > Animated Movies
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Disney > Gold Collection
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Classics
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Educational > Music & Arts
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Family Films
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Music & Arts
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Classics
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Kids' Fantasy