Powerful Days: Civil Rights Photography of Charles Moore Paperback – Dec 5 2001
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Moore was an Alabama news photographer who in the late 1950s began documenting what would become the Civil Rights movement. Initially, gatherings by Martin Luther King and his followers were no more than local news, but in 1963, Moore's shocking photos of blacks being doused with fire hoses, beaten bloody with clubs, and mauled by dogs at the hands not of racists and Klansman but of police officers made the rest of the country if not the rest of the world fully aware of what was transpiring in the American South. These photos, which captured the horrors better than words ever could, forced the public and the politicians to recognize the need for immediate change. Moore's photos undeniably were as influential to the passage of Civil Rights legislature as any march or speech and no doubt altered the course of our nation's history. This volume collects 188 examples of Moore's works along with text by Durham, a LIFE magazine reporter who often accompanied Moore, and an introduction by former King aide and UN ambassador Andrew Young. Powerful Days is powerful indeed; essential for all libraries.
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
"Every once in a while we receive a well-documented treasure of American history. This collection is such a treasure. . . . [Moore's] black-and-white photos of that era are classics of photojournalism, and as Powerful Days documents, those classics have lost none of their force and energy."
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Criticism & Essays > Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Photojournalism
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Civil Rights & Liberties
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Rights
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > African-American Studies