Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

on August 28, 2013
In the early 70s while on a holiday in Victoria, we saw part of The Prime. I always wondered how it turned out. The recent viewing finds me at a very different phase of life and the movie is probably more meaningful now than it would have been when I was 25. How does a person deal with aging? How does a person gain self-worth and what if you change your mind late in the game? Is romantic love or family the only thing that can carry us through the final years of our decreasing vitality and the anticipation of the end of life as we have known it? As usual the people in this film always think maybe conditions on the other side of the fence might be just the ones needed for a transition to the acceptance of the inevitable, mortality.

A viewer can skip all the psych and just watch the film for the story itself, and of course for Maggie Smith, young and even more energetic than she is now. With a bit of guidance a person could even learn a bit of history on a time that has now become fairly unmentioned except maybe in english class when the teacher is trying to explain Hemingway, the Lost Generation, or wars before the big 2.
2 people found this helpful
on July 7, 2015
This film was my 1st introduction to the "magical art and performances of Maggie Smith". I love this film and all of the pretension of "Miss Brodie" and that she stands for as being a socialist. Which during the setting of this film in mid-30's and early war years, made many people on edge. Maggie Smith is brilliant in this role and the supporting cast is excellent. If you haven't seen this classic either download it or buy it! Highly recommend this film!
on March 7, 2014
Maggie Smith does a fabulous job playing this part. It basically tells and shows how girls can be prim and proper in those days but still so much more. I love this movie! Also this is the same lady that played the witch on Harry Potter. Excellent actress!
on December 23, 2012
An old favorite, with a genuine actress handling the lead, and with a delightful supporting cast. If you enjoy coming-of-age plot lines, school settings, and a remarkable cast pushing a late-1960's vibe, you will enjoy this film. Great in the home and in the classroom.
One person found this helpful
on February 5, 2017
Love this movie and any thing else Maggie Smith is in.
on February 3, 2013
My wife had the mistaken idea that Jean Brodie was an exemplar of independent womanhood. Instead, she (Jean Brodie, not my wife) turns out to have misunderstood the world around her and her own place in it.

Nevertheless, the movie captures something of the era that it's set in, and Maggie Smith suits the role.
2 people found this helpful
on July 12, 2014
A very thought provoking film. A classic and a well deserved Oscar for Maggie Smith, she never fails to produce an excellent interpretation and in this film she excels.
on October 19, 2014
more a women thing
on February 24, 2014
I watch them over and over again. So heartwarming and brings me back to happier times. Quit asking for more praise and post the damn thing.
on January 28, 2014
Maggie Smith is such a wonderful actress, but didn't like her in this story at all. I am surprised she accepted this role.