No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Digital List Price:||CDN$ 1.27|
|Print List Price:||CDN$ 5.17|
Save CDN$ 3.91 (76%)
The Prince (Coterie Classics with Free Audiobook) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Kindle Edition, Mar 15 2016||
Kindle Monthly Deals
Each month we unveil a new collection of Kindle books for $3.99 or less. Deals expire on the last day of the month. See more.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Another point of some confusion is the saying that "it is better to be feared than to be loved." Again, this is not quite what Machiavelli meant. His actual words are: "[. . .] there arises a dispute: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the contrary. The reply is that one should like to be both the one and the other, but as it is difficult to bring them together, it is much safer to be feared than to be loved if one of the two has to be lacking." It is also noteworthy to point out that the word "fear" at the time Machiavelli was alive was less synonymous with its modern meaning than it was with the word "respect." He was saying that a prince's throne is more secure if he is feared/respected but not loved than it is if he is loved but not feared/respected. Machiavelli does not say that a prince who is feared is the moral better of one who is loved.Read more ›
Also, there is a fantastic summary and overview of The Prince in the book A Collection of Wisdom by Rodney Ohebsion that I highly recommend. In ten pages or so, it gives you really the essence of The Prince that is applicable to people in their lives.
Machiavelli is tremendous observer of human nature. He understands human nature on a individual level, and on the larger scale of an entire society. He explains how an individual will react to certain situations, and how the group at large will react. His conclusions are timeless.
Machiavelli also draws many conclusions from the lessons of history. He recommends that leaders study history.
He also has valuable lessons in regards to the various types of governments. He points out the positive and negative aspects of democracies, aristocracies, and dictatorships. Once again his conclusions are timeless.
I really like the strategies this book because they're so practical and easy to implement. I found a lot of value inside this political philosophy have book type of book. I love how this particular concepts have been taught for many years now. How to acquire power was my section.
Most recent customer reviews
This was an interesting read. It gave good insights into the meaning of a “Machiavellian approach”. Along with these thoughts and ideas, this book serves as a rich history... Read morePublished 14 months ago by Susan-128
A really well written book, and great for the history buffs out there. Niccolo Machiavelli was a fascinating man, and the book does a great job of letting you into his mind.Published 14 months ago by DXLPM
This book is a classic. It's up to the interpreter to see whether or not Machievelli was being satirical or realistic.Published on Nov. 7 2011 by beholder
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Books > History > Military > Strategy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Political
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > History & Theory
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Leadership
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Kindle Store > English Language Store
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > Strategy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Political
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > History & Theory
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Systems & Planning