Principles of Electric Machines and Power Electronics Hardcover – Dec 31 1996
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
P. C. Sen (Queen's Univ., Kingston, Ontario, Canada)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I took this course from the university that the author taught at. the book was this textbook. the pedagogy was terrible, some units such as (At/m) were not properly defined, the commentary was minimal except where it was copied from other books. it seems that the auther cannot be bothered to give a thorough explanation of the the basic concepts, and would only add in text as an afterthought. as a practicing professional in the field and as someone who has taught university level courses, I would say, find another textbook
But the biggest problem is, the author makes no attempt to get the reader/student to understand WHY and HOW machine behavior is derived. Instead of deriving any equations (via KCL/KVL), PC Sen lists the equations as-is and expects you to memorize them.
Unfortunately, this is an engineering course and not English Lit: engineers need explanations and mathematics, not a "plug the variable in here and substitute to determine the answer" book.
Throughout the course the professor would have to point out inconstencies in the formulas provided and direct students to alternative online references as a substitute for this poor book's pitiful attempt at explaining power electronics to readers.
So, yeah. I've read worse, and I've read better.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electric Machinery & Motors
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electricity Principles
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electronics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Machinery
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical > Machinery
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Mechanical Engineering