- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Pro PHP Security: From Application Security Principles to the Implementation of XSS Defenses Paperback – Dec 10 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Chris Snyder is a software engineer at the Fund for the City of New York, where he helps develop next-generation websites and services for nonprofit organizations. He is a member of the executive board of New York PHP, and has been looking for new ways to build scriptable, linked, multimedia content since he saw his first Hypercard stack in 1988.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
- SQL injection: This book gives a great overview of what SQL injection is, how to identify vulnerabilities, how to fix them, and how to test your application
- Cross-site scripting: This was a good one for me. Much of the documentation on XSS is pretty vague. The authors did a good job of providing several detailed examples of cross-site scripting attacks, and how to defend against them.
- Validating and Sanitizing input: The authors really stress the importance of validating and sanitizing any input that comes into your application. They give examples of how to create validation libraries. However, one of my main disappointments with the book was that they failed to discuss PHP's filter_var functionality.
- Captchas: What they are and how to implement them.
- Securing RESTful services: Restricting access, authenticating and authorizing requests, and enforcing quotas and rate limits.
- How to secure UNIX
- How to secure your database
- Encryption: The authors discuss keeping your passwords safe by hashing, and how to protect other sensitive data by symmetrical or asymmetrical encryption
- SSL and SSH: Securing network connections via SSL and SSH. How to generate certificates and keys.
- Securing shared hosting
- Keeping production and development environments separate
- Keeping software up to date
These are just some of the focus areas of this book. It provides even more interesting and valuable information. While this book won't make you a security expert, it will put you well on the path of proper security-minded PHP coding.
If you bought the first edition of this book, you might be disappointment on how it was organized in the first edition; however, the second edition of this book will change your opinion forever. It is easy to follow, and the authors focus on only one specific area per chapter; as a result, it allows readers to focus on the specific security that they may either are not aware of the problems or want to get more in depth detail.
Overall, I think this book is not only good for the seasonal PHP programmers since they may only need some parts of security topics that related to their current projects but also good for the experience PHP programmer since they can use this book as reference.
I do not think this book is good for programmers who just start to learn PHP language since most of the topics in this book are for people who have worked in PHP for few years.
PHP must have for any beginning coder.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > Security+
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering