Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Audio CD – Apr 1 2002
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Tchaikovsky; Tchaikovsky is one of the most popular composers of all time. His melodies are known to many people who may never have heard his name. They crop up on mobile telephones, alarm clocks and answering machines as often as on records and concert programmes. Like his music, the man himself was widely loved, but his inner life was fraught with sufferings, confusions and a deep vein of self-doubt. The drama of is emotional life is vividly reflected in his music, letters and diaries, all of which play a major part in this intimate portrait-insound. Jeremy Siepmann; American-born, Jeremy Siepmann has been long resident in the UK where he has contributed to many leading music journals, including The New Statesman, The Musical Times, Gramophone and the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. He is equally well known as a broadcaster on both sides of the Atlantic, and especially
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
But, of course, it is the music - the symphonies, ballets ("Swan Lake" and "The Nutcracker" are arguably the best known ballets in the entire classical repertoire), chamber music and operas such as the lyrical "Eugene Onegin" - that is the reason we are so interested in the story of the man as well. Jeremy Siepmann and Naxos Records have created a truly winning recipe with their "Life and Works" series. The combination of an audio book with music is an extraordinarily powerful and compelling way of bringing the biography of a classical musician to life and, at the same time, making the music accessible to a wide audience who may never have had the privilege of listening to some of the greatest music ever written. Siepmann's narrative voice is truly enchanting. Not only does he do a masterful job narrating Tchaikovsky's story in a most compelling manner but he does a magnificent job of relating Tchaikovsky's mercurial moods and the events in his life to the very nature of the music that he was producing at different periods in his life.
Highly recommended for lovers of music and music history alike.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Music
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Composers & Musicians
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Biographies
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Books on CD
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Songwriting
- Music > Classical > Ballets & Dances > Historical Periods
- Music > Classical > Chamber Music > Sextets
- Music > Classical > Chamber Music > Trios
- Music > Classical > Forms & Genres > Concertos
- Music > Classical > Forms & Genres > Short Forms
- Music > Classical > Forms & Genres > Suites
- Music > Classical > Forms & Genres > Symphonies
- Music > Classical > Historical Periods > Romantic (c.1820-1910)
- Music > Classical > Symphonies
- Music > Opera & Vocal > Languages > Russian