- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Ready-to-Use Social Skills Lessons & Activities for Grades 4 - 6 Paperback – Jul 27 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
This resource is one of four books in the Social Skills Curriculum Activities Library, a practical series designed to help classroom teachers and specialists teach appropriate behavioral skills to students of all abilities, preschool through grade 12. The activities emphasize teaching young people to recognize the equal rights of others, independent of color, race, and religion, and develop their skill in using good judgment to resolve life's conflicts peacefully.
The complete Social Skills Curriculum Library provides over 250 classroom-tested lessons and activities in four distinct units, each tailored to the developmental needs of students at a particular grade level:
- READY-TO-USE SOCIAL SKILLS LESSONS & ACTIVITIES FOR GRADES PreK-K
- READY-TO-USE SOCIAL SKILLS LESSONS & ACTIVITIES FOR GRADES 1-3
- READY-TO-USE SOCIAL SKILLS LESSONS & ACTIVITIES FOR GRADES 4-6
- READY-TO-USE SOCIAL SKILLS LESSONS & ACTIVITIES FOR GRADES 7-12
Each lesson covers:
- Purpose: Need for teaching/learning the social skill, e.g. "Using Self-Control"
- Introduction: Stories, films, poems, and questions to make the skill concrete
- Skill Components: Skill steps for teaching the appropriate behavior
- Modeling the Skill: Teacher and/or student demonstration of the skill
- Behavioral Rehearsal: Student performance of the skill with teacher correction if necessary
- Practice: Worksheets and other activities summarizing the skill
- Independent Use: Activities to promote use of the skills outside of school
- Continuation: Suggestions for reinforcing the skill through the school year
Each unit also includes an introduction to the curriculum and lesson format ... brief guidelines ... To the Teacher... for using the activities most effectively ... reproducible Task Review Cards for circle-time class discussions ... and a Family Training Booklet addressed to parents with suggestions for teaching social skills at home (units 1-3).
In short, the Social Skills Curriculum Activities Library gives teachers at all level a stimulating and systematic way to develop positive social behaviors in their students. The activities focus on real problem situations, and are readily adapted to any classroom or school-wide program, and can be easily enhanced with other strategies, models and interventions devised by the creative teacher.
About the Author
Ruth W. Begun, M.S., is president of The Society for Prevention of Violence (SPV), a nonprofit organization founded in 1972 dedicated to reducing asocial behaviors in children and adults through education.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The author doesn't really explain what to do with each exercise either, it's seemed more like a list of suggestions or ideas than real activities. For instance they would say "come up with a story to show typical youngsters conflicting over a problem and give examples of how to resolve those problems without violence."
That's what I got the book for.... if I knew how to come up with scenerios like that and exercises on my own, I wouldn't need help.
I gove it 2 stars because there are a couple of worksheets included that do seem like they are useful practices, but other than that, this was a waste of money.