Reclaiming Medusa: Contemporary Short Stories by Puerto Rican Women Writers Paperback – Apr 1 1997
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
A husband who does not notice the substitution of a mannequin for his wife, a woman desperately nourished by romance novels, a couple who build their relationship on the woman's fear of heightsthese are some of the characters peopling this one-dimensional anthology assembled by a professor of Spanish-English translation and Latin American literature at the University of Iowa. In an introduction cluttered with academic argot and trendy aphorisms ("it is both possible and impossible to be a 'woman' "; "as much as we write in a language, the language itself writes us"), Velez attempts to place these stories within the currents of Latin American as well as feminist fiction. While the political agenda governing the tales will not disappoint feminists, the heavy-handed symbolism, occasional markedly inauthentic dialogue and almost total dependence on "trick" or surprise endings render the collection flatly and ironically conventional, at its best only a poor relation to its Latin American models. This will only engage those readers willing to exchange literary craft for ideology, although the inclusion of the original Spanish versions of two stories may interest students of translation.
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I don't know much about Puerto Rican writers, but the introduction gives a fairly good briefing. On the whole, this book was a great introduction to Puerto Rican female authors.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > British
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Hispanic
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Short Stories
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Spanish
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > Latin American
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies