Rival SealAMeal VS230 Vacuum Food Sealer White
- Easy-to-use vacuum food sealer locks in freshness and flavor
- One touch vacuum and seal buttons with indicator lights
- Accessory port; integrated bag-roll holder and cutter; starter bag kit included
- Dishwasher-safe drip tray
- Microban antimicrobial protection
Food sealer press/hold release. Stylish new look. Integrated bag roll holder and cutter. Progress lights to monitor the vacuum process. Dishwasher safe drip tray with microban antimicrobial protection. Convenient top panel accessory port. White.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Even though this one is less expensive, I recommend others buy the FoodSaver for three reasons: 1.) The Rival model does not have an "instant seal" option. In other words, if you go to store anything soft (baked goods, etc.) with the Rival, it will crush / flatten the contents of the bag before sealing is complete. The Food Saver allows you to suck out the air and seal the bag before the contents get squished. 2.) If you go to Kmart or Target and check out both models in person, you will quickly see that the Rival looks and feels cheaply made in comparison to the FoodSaver. The FoodSaver costs more because it is a higher quality product. 3.) Our first Rival Seal-A-Meal failed within the first year. Rival's customer service is a farce. Two emails and one phone call have yet to be returned. I ended up having Amazon replace the product. I wish I would have taken the opportunity to upgrade to the FoodSaver (FoodSaver V2440 Advanced Design). When this one goes on the fritz, and I know it will, I will treat myself by not buying a Rival model again.
**Note, as was commented on below, FoodSaver's parent company, the Jarden Corporation, bought Seal-A-Meal's parent company, the Rival Corp, in 2005. Each brand has since been manufactured separately in different plants in different states in accordance with their original designs. Operations could be consolidated in the future because Rubbermaid announced in 2015 that it would acquire Jarden Corporation in 2016, but until then, these machines are different from each other and FoodSaver is the higher rated (and priced) product.
Why I love this product:
(1) This product will vacuum seal bags that can be cut to any useful length from rolls that are sold cheaply in 8" or 11" widths. Rolls can also be bought at specific lengths just like ziplocks if you like that kind of thing. Regardless of which bag type you purchase, they are far cheaper than traditional ziplock bags.
(2) It has two settings, one for dry foods and one for moist foods. However, it is important to note that since this is a VACUUM sealer it will compact food as it sucks the air out of the bag no matter the setting; it will just do it less on one setting over another.
(3) If you don't want your food to get reduced in size during storage (like cake for example which doesn't look pretty once compacted), but still want to either freeze or preserve it, then I suggest that you purchase in addition to the various roll packages that Rival and other companies produce, the Rival VSA3 Seal-a-Meal Accessory Canisters. The Rival machine comes with a small hose that plugs into a port on top of the machine and has an adapter on the opposite end that plugs into the lids on its canister set (with various sizes). This is a great feature.
(3) I love the convenience of this thing. As a teacher I am home first with the kids and my wife comes home later, often much later than myself, so I'm typically in charge of dinner (and being the sure that the kids get their homework and chores done --lol). This product has made my life so much easier. "Seal-a-Meal" is the perfect term for it because I can put a whole meal in one bag, vacuum seal it, and defrost in the microwave or boil the contents (in the bag) easily later. It's nice to be able to put 4 whole chicken legs which is a meal for my family, cleaned and seasoned in advanced, and labeled in a bag cut to size to be used later. I don't have to dig into bags that are too deep and have more chicken in them than I need and I don't have to fight to pull out the frozen parts I want. I can set up portions that I know my family eats.
(4) I appreciate that this product allows me to store more food in my freezer as vacuum sealed bags take up much less space than traditional ziplock bags do. This saves me time shopping at the store by making less trips.
(5) I love that I can buy in bulk, which often saves money as well as time, and store food for longer periods of time. In a ziplock bag, air eventually gets in and spoils the flavor of the food with "freezer burn" and bacteria (when not in the freezer). This doesn't happen in vacuum sealed bags. Ziplock bag items will last, on average 1-3 months in your freezer, but food vacuumed sealed can last 1-3 YEARS!!! No, that isn't a typo; you read that correctly. This allows one to buy in bulk, thus, saving time and money.
***This is truly an outstanding product and although there are other more expensive models out there with some clever features not available on this one, this is a great value. Those other brands typically cost 2 or 3 times more than this brand. Perhaps they are worth it for more features, stainless steel design, and longevity (I have mine for about a month, so I don't know how long this kind of machine lasts), but for about $50.00 this is an inexpensive and very helpful appliance that is a welcome addition to any kitchen.
I wote to Rival and they don't care or stand behind their products. They only guarantee it to hold together for one year, make sure you keep your receipt or your on your own. I would recommend finding another brand.
Also, the price was better than o.k.