Road USA/Canada/Mexico 2012 - Carte Atlas Spiral-bound – Jun 21 2011
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
What makes this the best road atlas is that the pages are organized based on a fixed grid, not based on states. We don't drive by state, roads don't stop at or curve away from state borders, so why should a map page stop at a state border? Why have a different scale for every state, which is what is required when the pages are state-based since states come in different sizes.
The Michelin system uses just two different grid sizes -- a smaller grid-size for the eastern US since the road-density is higher there, so higher-resolution is required.
And yes, spiral bound is great, too, but the biggest distinction -- what makes the Michelin atlas unique -- is the fixed-grid system for dividing up the area.
Either way, a good option. I have a passion for maps in general and I'm very happy with it.
In addition, there are maps to an even finer scale for the Northeast Corridor, and many cities have maps, some an entire page. Canada, Alaska, and Mexico maps also appear.
I find leaping across the spiral from the left-hand page to the right-hand page a little troublesome, so you may wish to consider the non-spiral version.
For certain areas, say Rhode Island, of course the more traditional road atlases will have more detail. There's no reason not to have two or more atlases from different publishers a few years apart.
There are some inaccuracies. For example, in Maryland, highway 28 now meets highway 198. The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library doesn't appear. In Vincennes, the Old Cathedral Complex is shown vaguely to the southeast, but in reality it abuts the National Historic Park to the north -- the same mistake appears on one of the competitors' maps; hm.
All in all, this atlas will be quite a pleasant addition for the next road trip.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Atlases & Maps > Atlases
- Books > Education & Reference > Atlases & Maps > Canada
- Books > Education & Reference > Atlases & Maps > Maps
- Books > Education & Reference > Atlases & Maps > World
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Travel > Atlases & Maps > Atlases
- Books > Travel > Atlases & Maps > Canada
- Books > Travel > Atlases & Maps > Maps
- Books > Travel > Atlases & Maps > World
- Books > Travel > Canada
- Books > Travel > Guidebook Series > Michelin > Atlases
- Books > Travel > Guidebook Series > Michelin > North America
- Books > Travel > Latin America > Mexico
- Books > Travel > United States > Regions