- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Roadside Crosses in Contemporary Memorial Culture Hardcover – Sep 11 2002
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
Everyone sees them-roadside shrines that are spontaneously erected to commemorate a highway death or fatal accident. In this short but perceptive academic study, Everett outlines the multiple purposes of erecting a roadside shrine: it helps friends, relatives and strangers cope with their sudden loss; serves as a meeting place for the bereft; calls public attention to the death; and communicates a "grim warning" to other motorists. Everett's study is narrow; she examines only Christian artifacts and shrines, and her primary research was conducted entirely in Texas. However, as she notes, there is a certain universality to these roadside memorials, which spring up all across the country with a ghostly familiarity. Everett's book will be esteemed by academics and folklorists who specialize in material culture, but also by general readers who are able to look beyond scholarly references. Twenty-five b&w photos demonstrate some of the crosses and shrines discussed in the book.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
About the Author
HOLLY EVERETT lived in Texas for twenty-eight years before moving to Newfoundland, Canada, where she is presently a doctoral candidate and fellow of the School of Graduate Studies in the Department of Folklore at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Her work on roadside crosses, commitment rings, and classical music radio has been published in scholarly journals and conference proceedings.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Death & Grief > Grief & Bereavement
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Fairy Tales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Archaeology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Customs & Traditions
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Folklore & Mythology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Death
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Buildings > Religious Buildings
- Books > Science & Math > Archaeology
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences