countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on April 13, 2017
Awesome movie & you don't have to flip the Blu ray like the original dvd
on April 28, 2017
Excellent service will buy again
on March 3, 2017
Good
on March 24, 2017
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!! When I finally got around to watching it, only half the movie was on the disc. There is nothing on the package that suggests this is not the entire movie. Do NOT waste your money on half a film! I am unimpressed and want my money back!!
on May 2, 2004
This is a really terrific movie, if you can ignore Kevin Costner's bad accent (why isn't it an English accent? Cos he was so bad!) and mullet hairstyle - yuck! Every aspect of the movie has to be given top marks, and on this special edition of the movie, you get 12 minutes of extra footage that wasn't shown originally in cinemas.
However, the rest of the extras are not very good. I don't see the point in bringing out films that did great business when they originally came out, but don't give much extra on the DVD! The only decent extra on this is Bryan Adam's live performance at Slane Castle in Dublin of "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)". You've got a "behind the scenes" feature - presented strangely enough by Pierce Brosnan (why?) playing Jeff Goldblum. (The resemblance is uncanny). And then there are "vintage" cast interviews, which I can't stand on DVD extras - they are so dull & tedious! And a photo gallery, you can't forget that.
The 12 minutes not shown in cinemas is quite cool. But you have to watch closely, because sometimes, it's little more than extra shots of people in the crowd or whatever. What is quite good, is the longer sections of cut film is to do with the Sheriff of Nottingham, and these scenes give an insight into his relationship with the witch. Very interesting, and so stupid that it was cut from the original version of the film.
There's a great cameo from Sean Connery towards the end (why did I think Patrick Stewart was going to walk out?), which he reportedly got paid $250,000 for, for TWO DAYS work (alright for some) which he donated to charity.
For all the ladies out there - the scene where Kevin Costner is naked under the waterfall, is actually a body double!!! Which is kinda weird, have you seen the tan lines?!
This is a DVD to get purely for the 12 minutes extra, not for the rest of the extras. But otherwise, the film is great, and the score by Michael Kamen is so sad at times.
on June 15, 2003
Over the years, it seems that the Robin Hood saga has been a favorite of sorts for film makers to re-invent, manipulate, and showcase again and again. No doubt due to global appeal and the premise of a hero taking from the rich, giving to the poor, and fighting the good fight.
Of all the Robin Hood films ever produced, it's readily apparent that Prince of Thieves relies less on genuine historical accuracy and leans more toward Hollywood flair which still makes for an entertaining film. Despite using no English accent (which appears to grate on some reviewers for some reason), Kevin Costner presents himself well in the role of Robin Hood. Coupled with fine performances from Morgan Freeman, Alan Rickman, Christian Slater, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, (to name just a few), the story moves at an exciting pace and hits the mark as a stand up adventure movie that doesn't disappoint.
As for the new 2 disc special edition release of this movie, it just got a whole lot better. Not having to flip the disc over any more to see the entire feature like in the first release, you now have a new digital transfer and a remastered DTS 5.1 soundtrack and both are outstanding. On disc 2 you have great bonus material enhancing the value and enjoyment even further. Included is a decent documentary on the making of Prince of Thieves, Bryan Adams performing his music video of '(Everything I do) I do it for you', an interactive mediaeval weapons gallery, cast and crew bios, production notes, interviews with cast and crew, and trailers and t.v. spots.
You don't really have to be a die-hard Robin Hood fan to enjoy this movie. The film has a few flaws and stretches the historical aspect somewhat but it plays out well with plenty of action, adventure, humor, and fun. This special edition release would be a good addition to any DVD collection and I recommend it to everyone.
on March 2, 2004
Growing up this was one of my favorite movies-- I was 13 when the film was released and I saw it seven times in the movie theatre. I was really excited when I learned that there was an expanded edition with added footage and looked forward to the deleted scenes.
They are not that good; they break up the narrative almost to detrimental effects and often times lead to confusion. For example; a man, mid-way through the movie has his tongue cut out, the next few times we see him he cannot talk, in one of the last scenes he speaks (the scene where he speaks at the end is in the original and the other scenes were added). This made the experience kind of sour for me. Also with an expanded edition I was hoping for letter-box, but alas, I was disappointed again (yet, I admit this is my own fault for not checking first).
The added features are all right, but not spectacular-- two separate feature length commentaries which aren't very interesting and a network behind-the-scenes program hosted by Pierce Brosnon; nice but I was expecting more.
If you are like me and were a big fan of the original, I wouldn't buy this movie; it tries so hard to reinvent itself with the added scenes, to its own peril, it's not nearly as enjoyable. I gave it 3 stars because the bulk of the movie is still as I remembered it.
on March 27, 2017
I liked this remake of the Robin Hood story. Am replacing my old VHS tapes so that is why I got this one.
on January 14, 2013
Movie as great as I remember, only complaint is half way through the disc suddenly stopped. Family was confused, thought disc was faulty, but just needed to be flipped. That's old school.
on February 15, 2004
This is simply put one of the greatest movies ever made, as far as I'm concerned. I do not really care who made it and where it comes from. Ok, I'm really fed up with hollywood with all the crap they're putting out but this one shines through. It is wonderfully filmed in UK with all the castle scenes and landscapes. There's really nothing to complain about, everything fits nicely from beginning to an end and there could be a sequel to this, it would be wonderful. This movie is awesome and deserves nothing less than 5 stars. I've seen it hundred times and it never gets boring. A masterpiece that it is.