- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms Volume 2 Paperback – Apr 15 2002
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
One of the greatest and best-loved works of popular literature." - Dictionary of Oriental Literatures
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Note: Tuttle edition uses Wade system which spells differently from current Pin Yin system. Free softwares are available to exchange Pin Yin and Wade but it may take some time to get used to the spelling differences.
Verdict: Zhuge Liang and Simas take greater role in this latter half of the epic.
Rating: 90 out of 100
Recommended for: Chinese literature fans, fans of historical novels.
The story centers around the fall of the Han Dynasty, which is considered a "Golden Age" of Chinese History. I recommend reading this, just to gain an understanding of the attitudes and point of view of most Chinese. On the whole, most Chinese are very proud of their history, and most claim that the history is 5,000 years. Just keep reading, even if you're confused by the names and the discontinuities; by the time you're at the end, it should begin to sink in.
Like many Westerners, I suppose, I had some trouble tracking all the names - there are many characters, and some characters have several unique names depending upon what's going on or who is addressing them. But as the story progresses and your familiarity grows, this becomes less of a problem. When I started I kept lists of characters and even made notes amplifying the character's identity and relationships; but this quickly became cumbersome, and in the end I found I didn't need it. You become familiar with the main characters and easily follow their vicissitudes as the story moves along. The story becomes the main thing, and it is great!
I was introduced to Romance of the Three Kingdoms by a Taiwanese friend, and I'll be forever grateful to him. Wonderful saga - put it on your list of must-reads!
subject and I greatly enjoyed this Chinese classic and recommend it highly.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Chinese
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Fairy Tales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Family Saga
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Chinese
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Asian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Sagas
- Books > Romance
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature