A Room of One's Own, and Three Guineas Paperback – Jul 26 2008
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Together these ten volumes make an attractive and reasonably priced (the volumes vary between L3.99 and L4.99) working edition of Virginia Woolf's best-known writing. One can only hope that their success will prompt World's Classics to add her other essays to the series in due course.' Elisabeth Jay, Westminster College, Oxford, Review of English Studies, Vol. XLV, No. 178, May '94
About the Author
Morag Shiach is a Lecturer in English at Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
One day, my dear friend handed me this book and said, "You'll like this."
I was intimidated. After all, it's Virginia Woolf and only really smart people can read Woolf's writings. But I decided to read what I could and glaze over the rest. I ended up tucking myself into bed with this book every night and reading it again and again and again.
Yes, Woolf was a Victorian-era writer and the prose is thick and heavy-laden with Victorian verbosity, but her powerful writing style shines through the complicated sentences and nuanced lexicon.
My very favorite part was the top of page 60. After reading that, I felt that Ms. Woolf had reached through the decades and touched my very soul. If you're a writer and a sensitive soul (as I am), you'll understand when you read it. :)
Next semester, I'm teaching a course on writing and plan to quote Ms. Woolf extensively. This book will be well used and recommended to my students. And I highly recommend it to you, too.
author, The Houses That Sears Built
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > History
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction
- Books > History > Gay & Lesbian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Gay & Lesbian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies