countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 5, 2010
As an accomplished pastry and baking esthusiast, I'm particularly interested in creating fusion style desserts. Rose Heavenly Cakes is the right book for me. It is meticulously presented. Everything from pronunciation, a short descriptive story, the recipe, the step by step summary and methods, the special effects and techniques, and the highlights for success helps you get started with ease. I would recommend this book for intermediate and advanced bakers as some of the recipes requires multi tasking and the use of multiple utensils at the same time. The photo layout could use some more lavishly decorated finished products, as most cakes are presented in plain and amateurish fashion. Rose Levy Beranbaum's warmth and expertise makes this book as one to treasure.
on November 29, 2010
I love this cookbook now. When I first received it, I was a little disappointed even though it is a very pretty cookbook. There are a lot of really fancy recipes that I won't be trying for years - I have four young children so my baking time is very short or shared or both :D. But there are quite a few simpler recipes that are sooo good. Like, apple upside down cake, lemon poppy seed cake, white velvet cake, and the icings, mmmm...So now I find I am using it quite a bit for the quicker recipes and some day maybe I'll try the more difficult ones.
Don't be put off if you don't really bake a lot there are quite a few easy and quick recipes that use a simple 9 inch round pan and she explains the recipes very thoroughly. She has a way of mixing cake batter that really makes a difference in the taste and texture of the cake. Delicious.
on April 25, 2010
I first came across Rose's 'Cake Bible' for a friend who bakes weekly. He made numerous cakes to great success but for myself I had a hard time getting past that the book had very few pictures of the finished product. Therefore it was a very happy day when I learned that 'Rose's Heavenly Cakes' was being published. I was thrilled that it included wonderful pictures, some step by step to help with technique! I purchased this book for my friend and myself and neither of us has been anything but happy with it. For those who own the 'Cake Bible', you will find some of the recipes repeated or updated in this book.

I have to say I love that how the recipes are done by weight so that the results cannot change, when measures matter so much in baking. I wish more baking cookbooks did this as an alternative method of measuring. I love the detailed instruction... it leads to no fail results! This book is for intermediate to advanced bakers... some of the recipes do require some special pans and special preparation of the ingredients being used. However... don't let this deter you!

I have to say that I got rave reviews when I made the Stick toffee "pudding" and The Bostini. I plan to continue baking more very soon... I don't want to have to wait for special occasions.

Unlike other reviewers I like the modern presentation of the cakes and I like that they are not dripping with icing roses and artificial colouring. I actually want to eat these desserts and I avoid any baking book that has garish finished product.
on March 2, 2014
I have all of Rose's books, and pay homage to her. She is a chemist, and all her recipes are perfection. Beware, Canadians, because in her new book she says that you can use either cake flour or all purpose. Not with our harder flour. American all purpose is much softer. Blah, blah, as I get on my soapbox.
on January 4, 2015
Rose writes for people who are interested in baking. This book is not for the faint hearted - if Betty Crocker is your fail safe this book is not for you. |If you would like to make professional quality cakes from your very own kitchen, can follow step-by-step instructions, and want to increase your skills then this is the right book. The cakes turn out exactly the way they look in the pictures. They are time consuming. They are worth it.
on October 31, 2016
I love this baking book. I have about 20+ and have started baking from this book. There are lots of photographs (as more of a novice baker, I find it helpful to see what something looks like and also to determine if I want to bake it). I like all of the tips and the detail. Ultimately, this has helped improve my baking. So far I've baked three recipes and all turned out really well. At least two so far will be repeated favorites. I like it that the weights are included as it increases accuracy and makes measuring easier. There is excellent advice and I'd definitely recommend this book (it would make an excellent present). I keep it at my bedside for night-time reading.
on July 7, 2014
If you want to make a very special cake for someone than this is the ultimate resource! So happy with the recipes of this book.
on July 8, 2016
Heavenly indeed. In taste too.
on September 16, 2016
perfect for any baker!
on May 1, 2011
This book is so heavy I can hardly lift it, am anxious to try most of them. So far have made the Whipped Cream Cake, and it is indeed heavenly. Lots of great information for the price of this book, never mind the tempting photos. Highly recommended for those of us who love to amaze our friends and family, just follow all the instructions and you will have great sucess.