The Sacred Isle: Belief and Religion in Pre-Christian Ireland Hardcover – Apr 29 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
An excellent book... a highly accessible and lively assessment of c ontinuity and change in belief and religion from pre-Celtic times through to the arrival of St Patrick. ...A fine book and to be recommended to a wide readership, especially to all those who think that Irish history started in 1601. IRISH STUDIES REVIEW The focus of this book is the evidence for pagan cult systems in ancient Ireland, particularly the period 500BC to AD600...on the whole a thoroughly researched and rigorously referenced study... a useful reference work. ZEITSCHRFT FUR CELTISCHE PHILOLOGIE
About the Author
The late Dáithí O hOgAin was the author of several books of poetry, short stories and academic research. Born in Bruff, Co. Limerick, Dáithí O hOgAin was educated at University College Dublin. As Professor of Irish Folklore in UCD, his main interests lay in the interplay between folklore and literature and the ways in which folklore enriches the individual imagination and creative culture. O hOgAin was the author of six collections of poetry, among them "Cois Camhaoireach", "Idir an DA Dhealbh" and "Footsteps from Another World", and three short story collections: "Breacadh", "Imeall an Bhaile" and "ScEalta Nua". His literary and folklore research includes "Fionn Mac Cumhaill", "Celtic Warriors", "The Sacred Isle", "The Celts--A History" and "Ireland--People and Places". He was a well-known broadcaster on radio and television, and also had four radio plays produced.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient
- Books > History > Europe > England > Ancient
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Fairy Tales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Celtic & British Isles
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Celtic
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Druidism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Science & Math > Archaeology