Safe Food: Bacteria, Biotechnology, and Bioterrorism Hardcover – Mar 25 2003
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Highlights of the food industry's hostility to safety regulation can be found in Marion Nestle's "Safe Food . . . a book which, like Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation, makes you think before you eat."--"The Washington Monthly
From the Inside Flap
"Marion Nestle has emerged as one of the sanest, most knowledgeable, and independent voices in the current debate over the health and safety of the American food system. All of us who eat should count ourselves lucky to have this indispensable book."Michael Pollan, author of The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
Top Customer Reviews
My general impression was that she wrote this book to create fear in the food consumer, but never really offered any solutions except more government intrusion. She never presented, in the interview, the fault of the consumer in poor preparation practices or lack of control when eating out.
In Nestle's view its either "big" business' fault by being cheapskates or the government's failure by not legislating.
Yes I believe that there needs to be safeguards, but I also believe that regulations can become so excessive that it could become not profitable to produce food products. That is why there should be a certain amount of responsibility by the consumer (i.e. don't eat tuna fish that's been sitting out in the sun for a few hours).
In the interview of besides presenting herself as a prophet of doom, I also found her to be very condescending to people who challenged her opinions.
If you want to read her work, I can only recommend reading this with a very critical eye.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is not perfect; some of the sections describing various scientific procedures may have benefited from the inclusion of explanatory diagrams, rather than somewhat belabored text descriptions. But overall, "Safe Food" is an important and timely book, and one well worth reading by anyone concerned about the quality of the food we eat.
One could have doubted what was written but we have just had the blatent disregard for food safety by 'CADBURY' the famous chocolate people claiming that only minute traces of bacteria may be present.
You either have bacteria or no bacteria there is no halfway house, this book will open everyone's eyes.
The kindle version of this book is not perfect. Some diagrams and charts were cut off or difficult to follow. Though maybe now slightly out of date, overall, "Safe Food" is an important book, and one well worth reading by anyone concerned about the quality of the food we eat.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Gastronomy > History
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Regional & International
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Health Policy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Levels of Government
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Bioengineering > Biotechnology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Food Sciences
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Medicine
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Food Science
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Policy
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Health Policy
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology