Sas Survival Handbook: The Ultimate Guide To Surviving Anywhere Paperback – Mar 9 2009
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'An ideal level of detail for a single book ... The most valuable 'jack of all trades' book that currently exists' Bushcraft UK
About the Author
John 'Lofty' Wiseman served for 26 years with the Special Air Service and was its chief survival instructor. He remains the foremost authority on SAS training techniques for civilians and his TV appearances include on Lenny Henry's Big Amazon Adventure.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Next up is my biggest disappointment in the book. Out of almost six hundred pages, around one hundred are spent talking about finding food. Even though the book repeatedly states how you can go for weeks without food and still survive. Tips on mushroom picking, plant harvesting, and especially hunting are likely to be futile at best, back-fire at worst. There are nice color pictures of various plants which is a helpful bonus, but many edible plants look dangerously like poisonous plants, even more so with mushrooms, so this is a dangerous bit of advice. As for hunting, the idea of someone crashing in a plane, building their own bow, then hunting, killing, skinning, and eating big game is somewhere between ludicrous and sheer fantasy. So while the chapter was sort of fun to read, some of the space could have been better utilized elsewhere.
Following this chapter are chapters including: finding and building shelters, rope use, first aid, navigation, signaling, and surviving in ocean environments. The book ends with a description of survival in urban disasters, ranging from terrorist attacks to tsunami's. The last page of the book reiterates the author's basic philosophy. The most important facet of survival is will.Read more ›
1) Concise, is an encyclopedia of info on how to survive in most biomes.
2) Cheap, for the information it contains the price is incredible. To think that all this knowledge is only 10$!!!
3) Organized. Because its been around for so long the organization has been optimized.
4) Written by a well researched and experienced author.
1) There is an app available for iOS and Android that you must purchase on top of this book, it would be nice if that were included in the package. The digital version includes some useful tools that utilize your smart phones sensors.
2) Bad pictures. The recent survival craze has unleashed a massive amount of high quality survival books with comparable info to this one, some of which are very well illustrated with real photos especially of plants, user friendly infographics etc this has black and white drawings and some colored drawings of plants that are useless.
3) Plant pictures won't help you much. Its hard to identify certain plants accuratley even with real photos due to look alikes and the fact that plants look widley different depending on what stage of growth its at. Relying on the drawings in this book may be rolling the dice...
4) No depth. This book covers a broad array of topics in a narrow way, you are likely better off buying a survival book tailored to your ecosystem/ biome.
5) Redundant weight. As said above, carrying a heavy book in the boreal forest in which only 50% of it will be pertainent to your environment may be a waste of weight and space...Read more ›
you may be a survivalist, and you may disagree with some of the things mentioned in this book, but you cannot disagree about owning this book. It is a must have.
It contains accurate information on virtually anything you'd need to know when in need, from where and how to set up camp, to how to field dress a fresh animal kill using every part of the animal, to navigation and visual signaling techniques. It even includes full colour diagrams and visual examples of various poisonous and edible plants from around the world.
Considering its small physical size (which is perfect for stashing it in your pack), this book is crammed with useful notes and advice.
A must have for any traveler's backpack.
Most recent customer reviews
For hiking or just for a general knowledge this book is great to have. It really is a must have.Published 25 days ago by Jackie Scrivanich
Pocket sized, full of useful content for surviving anywhere. Text is tiny but the quality of content is worth it. Read morePublished 27 days ago by 11181423
Beats having nothing in your bag! The full version with better explanations would do, but this quick reference lighter version is good for anyone venturing out into the wilds or... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Michael Janzen
This is a very handy little book which covers a wide range of topics and includes many diagrams and pictures which are easy to depict. It's compact and you can bring it anywhere. Read morePublished 1 month ago by CoolCanadian
This book is a must for anyone who loves the outdoors. Easy straight forward survival, nature, camping, hiking, and disaster information with illustrations.Published 2 months ago by Jason Powless
Very good book, easy to follow, well illustrated. I would recommend to having already some knowledge regarding survival and use this book as reference. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Very small in size, awesome for a bugout/camping backpack, as it adds very little weight for a wealth of knowledge.Published 2 months ago by Joshua