Have one to sell?
Saturday Hardcover – Picture Book, Oct. 22 2019
Enhance your purchase
Frequently bought together
From the Publisher
|Thank You, Omu!||Saturday||¡Gracias, Omu! (Thank You, Omu!) (Spanish Edition)|
|Thank YOU, Oge Mora, for inspiring kids and families||This Caldecott Honor Book is a heartwarming (and delicious!) story of sharing and community.||Join a mother and daughter as they're reminded of what's best about Saturdays: being together.||The modern classic of generosity and inclusivity is also available in Spanish!|
Praise for Saturday:Publishers Weekly Most Anticipated Children's Books of Fall 2019
A Fall 2019 Kids' Indie Next List
A NYPL Best Books of 2019
A School LibraryJournal Best Picture Books of 2019
ParentsMagazine 30 Best Kids' Books of 2019
An Amazon Best Children's Book of 2-19 Ages 3-5
Kirkus Reviews Best Children's books of 2019
A 2019 Horn Book Fanfare
* "How wonderful: a book with both racial diversity and class diversity that feels authentic. Special and splendid."―Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "The family handles the stress of dashed expectations in a way that acknowledges disappointment while conveying the buoyancy of resilience and the joy of their bond. And a delightful coda may inspire readers to share the inventive way they salvage their day."―Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "The simple yet heartfelt story tugs at the emotions, but it's the paper collage artwork that really packs a punch. Created with acrylic paints, china markers, patterned paper, and print clippings, the bright illustrations are inventively conceived and full of motion-just the right vehicle for bringing this Black mother-daughter duo to vibrant life."―Booklist, starred review
"In this picture book gem from the award-winning Oge Mora, a girl and her mother anticipate Saturdays as their weekly opportunity to go on their own private adventures--big and small."―Shelf Awareness
"This one is as much for parents as it is for kids."―Parents Magazine
"Energetic cut-paper collages depict the pair navigating a colorful, bustling city in this splendidly crafted tale of meeting life's challenges."―Horn Book
About the Author
Oge Mora graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in illustration. Her first picture book, Thank You, Omu!, was a Caldecott Honor, a New York Times Notable Book and Editors' Choice, and a Junior Library Guild selection. Her illustration work is also featured in Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World by Susan Hood. She lives in Providence, Rhode Island, and invites you to visit her website at www.ogemora.com.
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
- Publisher : Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; Illustrated edition (Oct. 22 2019)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 40 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0316431273
- ISBN-13 : 978-0316431279
- Item weight : 480 g
- Dimensions : 26.67 x 1.52 x 26.67 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: #25,243 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
4.9 out of 5
675 global ratings
Top review from Canada
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Top reviews from other countries
LovelyReviewed in the United Kingdom on January 11, 2020
A beautiful story well told.
Saturday by Oge MoraReviewed in the United States on May 23, 2020
I purchased this book for my 3-year-old daughter earlier in the year and we have really been enjoying it. My daughter especially loves that Ava, the little girl in the story, looks like her--with brown skin and dark hair. This book has a wonderful message that any child and parent will appreciate!
13 people found this helpful
Perfect love/imperfect day!Reviewed in the United States on October 28, 2019
How to have a perfect day--even when everything goes wrong. Yes, the art is beyond gorgeous. But to me, the most beautiful part of this book is the implicit acceptance of real-life mishaps and the love that shines through. This book holds truth.
15 people found this helpful
A Mazon Customer
An ode to the working parent’s weekendReviewed in the United States on June 25, 2020
Family means we take turns lifting each other up. Mora’s book is a wonderful reminder that as parents we often lift our children’s spirits in the face of disappointment, and they will learn to return the favor. Beautiful illustrations full of details to explore together. 10/10
7 people found this helpful
A touching wonderful story.Reviewed in the United States on June 19, 2020
Even an off day is special (and can be salvaged) when you’re with someone you love. As a mom, I too have know the sadness when best laid plans for a special day with my kid doesn’t go right. This book had me teared up by the end. Such a beautiful story with great illustrations.
5 people found this helpful