Search Engine Optimization For Dummies Paperback – Jul 31 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Drive your site to the top of search engine results withthese tips, tricks, and secrets
A great Web site isn't great unless it is viewed, and 90 percent of Web surfers never look past Page 1 of the search results. SEO expert Peter Kent clearly shows what you need to do to stay ahead of the competition. You'll discover how to set up your Web pages for the best chance of first-page rankings and reap the rewards of a fully optimized site!
- Rankings are money — good search rankings bring in customers and eyeballs that provide you sales and ad revenue
- Brick by brick — build a strong foundation of basic SEO skills as you select the best keywords and create a sensible site
- Say it with a smile — ensure your site is search-engine friendly by following key techniques and avoiding ones that get you blacklisted
- Make a splash — find out which search engines and directories you should target, how to register your site, and what you need to do to get indexed
- Traffic is good — discover additional steps you can take to drive visitors to your site, including posting videos, using social media, and gaining backlinks
Open the book and find:
- Steps for setting up pages that search engines will index
- Secrets for giving your site greater visibility in search engines
- Ways to ensure you appear in local search results
- Tips for selecting the right keywords in your Web pages
- Details on building an effective linking strategy
- How to make the most of social networking and video
- Techniques to track how your site is doing
- Develop a search strategy and use local search capabilities
- Build sites that increase your search visibility
- Analyze results with updated tracking tools
- Maximize content marketing and reputation management strategies
About the Author
Peter Kent is an e-commerce consultant specializing in search engine optimization. Peter has provided consulting services to companies such as TowerRecords.com, Zillow, and hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book offers a simple reality check and sets forth a practical, clear method that anyone can use to make his or her website worthy of an excellent SERPS placement. This book is an essential first step in anyone's SEO campaign. Whether you're a website developer or a business that owns and manages a website, the knowledge simply and clearly outlined in this book is essential before you even shop for an SEO consultant, since in my expert opinion 95% or more of the entire SEO industry is comprised of unsavory tricksters and scam artists. This book can help its reader cut through all the loads of crap out there and either approach SEO as a DIY craft or hire competent, white-hat SEO service providers who can help make a website more truly worthy of excellent SERPS placement by improving the quality and usefulness of the site's content and creating truly useful inbound links to the site from relevant industry peers.
I still don't specialize in SEO, per se, although I do include all the basic SEO-friendly structure and tools in every website I create. When my clients ask me what to do to improve their SERPS placement, or ask me for a referral to an SEO specialist, I invariably send them a link to this book. The modest price of this book can easily save you thousands of dollars or even more that could be lost to scam artists or incompetent SEO services. Most of the actual work in SEO is best done by the business that owns the website, and is not technical at all in terms of website development. Good SEO methods are more akin to traditional marketing and networking than to any arcane coding or secret black website development art, and this book shows the way, a way that anyone with enough dedication can follow.
Doing effective search engine optimization is still generally a lot of work, but it's dangerous to even talk to anyone seriously about it without at least getting familiar with the basic knowledge contained in this book.
Well, I bought the book so that I could learn how to write the simple code required to optimize a site for search engines. I wanted to learn how to create tags, not read endlessly about what they can do (if you learn html from the HTML for Dummies book that he promotes).The text is terrifically long-winded too, as if he was being paid by the word. He repeats everything in slightly different phrasing, without delivering much hard info. The book could have given us a brief lesson in html and still been about a quarter as long as it is. To take time out from my business marketing for this was extremely disappointing, and quite annoying.
That said, this books (which I've read by now, but not tried to implement it's recommendations) seems full of solid advice, logically presented so that you can understand the rationale behind it.
Sources, techniques, sites are referenced throughout that should provide the beginner and probably even someone who's been doing SEO related tasks for awhile a goodly amount of resources.
The author also includes examples of "case studies" that's he's run into in the past that show perspective on trying to get a site to perform well on the web.
For the price, readable and well worth it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Manager's Guides to Computing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Online Searching
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > For Dummies - Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > Introductory Guides
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet