Self-Organized Criticality: Emergent Complex Behavior in Physical and Biological Systems Paperback – Oct 20 2000
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"...describes clearly and concisely the basic ideas and the experimental evidence...and then balances the evidence and argues, in a soft voice and a mild manner, that SOC is a good idea and is at least worth looking into. And it is hard to disagree, when the proposal is stated in such gracious and intelligent terms...This book overall is eminently pleasing to read." Physics Today
Self-organized criticality (SOC) is based upon the idea that complex behavior can develop spontaneously in certain multi-body systems whose dynamics vary abruptly. This book is a clear and concise introduction to the field of self-organized criticality, and contains an overview of the main research results. The author presents and analyzes computer models to describe a number of systems, and he explains the different mathematical formalisms developed to understand SOC. The final chapter assesses the impact of this field of study, and highlights some key areas of new research.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Chaos & Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > System Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Chaos & Systems
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > System Theory
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics