- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Senior Cohousing Handbook-2nd Edition: A Community Approach to Independent Living Paperback – May 1 2009
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
No matter how rich life is in youth and middle age, the elder years can bring on increasing isolation and loneliness as social connections lessen, especially if friends and family members move away.
Senior cohousing fills a niche for this demographic-the healthy, educated and proactive adults who want to live in a social and environmentally vibrant community. These seniors are already wanting to ward off the aging process, so they are unlikely to want to live in assisted housing. Senior cohousing revolves around custom-built neighborhoods organized by the seniors themselves in order to fit in with their real needs, wants, and aspirations for health, longevity and quality of life.
Senior Cohousing is a comprehensive guide to joining or creating a cohousing project, written by the U.S. leader in the field. The author deals with all the psychological and logistical aspects of senior cohousing, and addresses common concerns, fears, and misunderstandings. He emphasizes the many positive benefits of cohousing, including:
- Better physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health
- Friendships and accessible social contact
- Safety and security
- Shared resources.
Successful aging requires control of one's life, and this generation of seniors-the baby boomers-will find this book holds a compelling vision for their future.(2008-11-27)
About the Author
Charles Durrett is a principal at McCamant & Durrett in Nevada City, CA, a firm that specializes in affordable cohousing. He co-authored the groundbreaking Cohousing A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves with his wife and business partner, Kathryn McCamant. He also authored The Senior Cohousing Handbook: A Community Approach to Independent Living.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
He knows of what he speaks. Chuck full of all the information one needs on this subject..
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Geriatrics
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Aging Parents > Retirement Planning
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gerontology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Buildings > Residential
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Urban & Land Use Planning
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Geriatrics