- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Shakespeare and Dickens: The Dynamics of Influence Paperback – Aug 29 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"On all factual matters, it is excellent." Modern Philology
Tracing Dickens' interest in Shakespeare through his own reading and performance and through numerous theatrical, literary, and artistic sources, Shakespearean Dickens argues that imaginative transformations of Shakespeare's words and ideas enrich all aspects of Dickens' writing, including aesthetic principles, language, imagery, plot, theme, tone, structure, and characterization. The book proceeds to examine theoretical ideas about influence and allusion as aspects of style, and analyses ways in which Dickens typically employs references to Shakespeare. The final section catalogues approximately one thousand references to Shakespeare's plays and poems drawn from Dickens' fiction, essays, letters, and speeches.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature