Shakespeare and Republicanism Paperback – Jun 8 2008
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"...clearly written and densely documented...M.W. Tillyard's Shakespeare is dead; long live Hadfield's!...Essential. All readers; all collections."
CHOICE, A. DiMatteo, New York Institute of Technology
"Andrew Hadfield's important and learned new book, Shakespeare and Republicanism, offers up a slate of bold, interlocking arguments ... [which] will be at once bracing and controversial, and so the book will be widely read and widely discussed by both literary scholars and historians."
Early Modern Literary Studies, Curtis Perry, Arizona State University
Shakespeare and Republicanism is a groundbreaking work by a leading scholar of the Renaissance. Andrew Hadfield reveals for the first time exactly how Shakespeare was influenced by contemporary strands in political thought that were critical of the English crown and constitution. Shakespeare has often been seen as a conservative political thinker characterised by an over-riding fear of the 'mob'. Hadfield argues instead that Shakespeare's writing emerged out of an intellectual milieu fascinated by republican ideas. For anyone interested in Shakespeare and Renaissance culture, this book is required reading.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Political Doctrines
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Political Ideologies