Simple Views on Condensed Matter Hardcover – Sep 27 2004
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Reviews of the first edition:
"This book collects a series of articles in which problems which had always been thought quite intractable are shown to be solved by simple, but clear thinking. Although the phrase 'simple views' is justified by the clarity of de Gennes' exposition, the problems had been unresolved for decades and it is a tribute to de Gennes' intuitive skill that he has been able to solve so many problems which are not only deep basic science, but also central in modern technology."
"For amateurs and connoisseurs--interested in physics, chemistry or biology--Pierre-Gilles de Gennes has opened his gentry-style cabinet de curiosites. Miscellaneous products of his inventive industry, including the famous and the unfamous, are brought together in this self-selected collection, accompained with recent hindsighful remarks of the Nobel laureate."
"This volume of collected works of Pierre-Gilles de Gennes will be a valuable and stimulating source for many years to come for younger readers and for beginners in the subfields of condensed matter covered in this volume, as well as a useful and compact reference book for all workers in the field."
Review of the second edition:
"This book surely satisfies the requirements of those interested in this field of physics. On the whole I think that this book can give, especially to a young reader, a certain feeling about the enthusiasm and novelty of condensed matter research during the last three decades."
From the Inside Flap
This volume is a selection of invaluable papers by P-G de Gennes 1991 Nobel Prize winner in Physics which have had a long-lasting impact on our understanding of condensed matter. Important ideas on polymers, liquid crystals and interfaces are described. The author has added some afterthoughts to the main papers (explaining their successes or weaknesses), and some current views on each special problem. The text is simple and easy to read.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Chemistry
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Molecular Physics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Nanostructures
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Solid State Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Molecular Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Nanostructures
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Nuclear Physics > Atomic & Nuclear Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Solid-State Physics > Condensed Matter
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > General
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Chemistry
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics