- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Slick Water: Fracking and One Insider’s Stand Against the World’s Most Powerful Industry Hardcover – Sep 18 2015
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Using the courageous case of Jessica Ernst's lawsuit about her flammable well water as foreground, Nikiforuk masterfully reveals what everybody in the oil and gas industry knows, but does not want the public to know, about past, and likely repeat, offenses" — Dr. Anthony Ingraffea, Dwight C. Baum Professor of Engineering Emeritus, Cornell University(2015-05-04)
"In this balanced and meticulously researched page-turner, Andrew Nikiforuk follows Alberta whistleblower Jessica Ernst’s quest for justice with a passion, verve, and level of damning detail reminiscent of A Civil Action. In so doing, Nikiforuk uncovers a pattern of collusion, deception, and denial, reaching from the oil patch to Ottawa, that will shock law-abiding Canadians. Jessica Ernst is Canada’s Erin Brockovich, and this is an heroic book―Nikiforuk’s best one yet." —John Vaillant(2015-06-30)
"Andrew Nikiforuk crafts a stunning picture of fossil fuel industry and government abuse." ―Naomi Klein, author of This Changes Everything and The Shock Doctrine(2015-07-10)
"Slick Water is a true-life noir filled with corruption, incompetence, and, ultimately, courage. It is a deeply informative, disturbing, and important book." —Elizabeth Kolbert, author of The Sixth Extinction(2015-07-17)
"This meticulously researched study...lifts the lid on the costs of that vast geological-engineering experiment, fracking."—Nature Magazine(2015-12-18)
"Essential reading for every human whose soul is not clouded by methane or coated in oil." —Publishers Weekly(2016-01-11)
About the Author
Andrew Nikiforuk is an award-winning Canadian journalist who has been writing about the oil and gas industry for more than two decades. He is the author of multiple non-fiction books, including Tar Sands, winner of the prestigious Rachel Carson Environment Book Award, Saboteurs, winner of Canada’s Governor General’s Literary Award for Nonfiction. He was one of the first journalists in North America to document the devastating effects of hydraulic fracturing on rural communities.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Now I know. Acting accordingly. I posted my own comments also on my Facebook page. We have to continue fighting governments and regulators and conspirators with the oil industry, to ban this practice. My own insider experiences well known via my websites (see: renataveritasopinion).
Really, how is this even possible in a country like Canada? How is it possible that the various levels of government as well as the so-called "regulators" allow a mix of undisclosed chemicals to be pumped down into our Earth where they will sit for who-knows-how-long, migrate to who-knows-where, and do who knows-what-harm to the air and to the earth, the vegetation and the animals who live on it (including us)? How is it possible that proper scientific method, such as establishing baselines for well and aquifer water purity before fracking begins, has not been established and followed? How is it possible that information can be delayed, tampered with, denied and destroyed?
I can only hope that the new governments in Alberta and Ottawa will be courageous enough to allow honest investigation of her case and bring about laws that will protect us all from further such monstrous abuses. Thank you Andrew for bringing this story to the attention of Canadians. And, most of all, thank you to Jessica Ernst for believing in this fight and sticking with it at such a huge personal cost! Best of luck, Jessica!
Most recent customer reviews
Outstanding book. A must read for Canadians concerned about the environment- especially issues related to fracking. Thank you very much Andrew Nikiforuk.Published 1 month ago by George W
Andrew Nikiforuk has crafted a critically important work that should be read by all. The betrayal of the public by regulators and industry is expertly brought to light with his... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Brent Winder
What an eye opener. great book, everyone in Canada and the US should read this bookPublished 5 months ago by Lise
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Social Activists
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Regional Canada > Maritime Provinces
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Regional Canada > Prairie Provinces
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Environmental Economics
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Energy & Mining
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Oil & Energy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Materials Science > Extraction & Processing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies