- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Some Kids Are Blind Paperback – Jan 29 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From School Library Journal
PreSchool-Grade 2-Supporting national social studies standards, these books offer extremely brief discussions of special-needs children. Written and formatted in an uninspiring textbook style, each double-page spread introduces one concept, with a color photograph on the left and one or two simple sentences in large print on the right. Each cover shows a child interacting with other youngsters, but the internal pictures rarely show a special-needs child with other classmates. If the point is to understand and accept individual differences, how can one not show photographs of children with and without special needs working and playing together? Despite the controlled vocabulary, youngsters will need adult guidance to make the most of these titles.
Pamela K. Bomboy, Chesterfield County Public Schools, VA
Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Lola M. Schaefer is a Compass Point Books Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
They enjoyed looking at the picture of deaf kids with hearing aids and cochlear implants--"Just like me!" And they enjoyed looking at kids signing and going to speech.
This book has a neutral tone. Saying that some deaf kids talk, but not that it is better to talk. Saying that some deaf kids sign, but not that it is better to sign. The book conveyed "This is how it is," more fact than opinion. Exactly what I was looking for.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Social Skills
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Special Needs
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Health > Physical Disabilities
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Children's Health > Special Needs Children
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare