countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Amazing movie! Love it!
on June 30, 2014
Very Good
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 23, 2009
This collection actually manages to top the pretty good first volume, The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation, somehow elevating it above the mere cash-grab that it might've been. Star Trek: The Next Generation was a great show, but many episodes showed variable quality (particularly in the very uneven first season). This four-episode collection cuts right to the chase, delivering four of the series' best right on one disc. "The Inner Light" won a prestigious Hugo award for its heartrending drama while "Cause and Effect" gives us the total destruction of the Enterprise -- several times -- before reaching its final conclusion (with a fun cameo from Kelsey Grammer, to boot). "Tapestry" is a delightful "what if" excursion and "Relics" gives us the return of Scotty from the Original Series. It's in this last episode that we see some of the weaknesses that plagued the show during its last few seasons: somewhat moribund pacing, atonal music and mountains of Star Trek's famous technobabble used to form a plot device. Still... Scotty!

Collecting every season of this show is an expensive proposition for someone not extensively invested in it. With that in mind, this single-discer is well worth picking up for casual fans and will round off your "Best of Star Trek" experience nicely.
on February 5, 2012
The 5.1 surround sound and video quality are amazing. I'm not sure I like the reason for this small release, but I can't wait for the final.

I see complaints about the 4:3 aspect, but the show was filmed on 4:3 and to make it 16:9 would require trimming.

If you love the show you will love this.
on February 8, 2012
The gain in quality (video) is such that after having watched a single episode I can not imagine buying the DVD version. I will wait one day, I fear distant, where the price of the integral of the series will come down to an altitude accessible to my wallet.

Episodes on the Blu-ray:

(Episode 1, 2) - Encounter at Farpoint 1 and 2
(Episode 65) - Sins of the Father
(Episode 125) - The Inner Light

-------------------------------------------------------

Un bond de géant vers la perfection vidéo

Le gain en qualité (vidéo) est tel qu'après avoir visionné un seul épisode je ne peux concevoir acheter la version DVD. J'attendrai donc un jour, lointain je crains, où le prix de l'intégrale de la série descendra à une altitude accessible à mon portefeuille.

Épisodes sur le Blu-ray:

(Épisode 1, 2) - Rendez-vous à Farpoint - 1 et 2
(Épisode 65) - Les péchés du père
(Épisode 125) - Lumière intérieure
on February 7, 2012
As most of you know the whole TNG series is being remastered for a Blu-Ray release. It is an exciting time to be a TNG fan. This series ran from 1987 to 1994 and was arguably the best Star Trek series ever produced. We all have our favorites though :)

Anyway the remastering I have seen on this disc is impressive. I have the original DVD releases and I have compared the two. The difference is substantial! Images are clear, colors are better and overall it just looks way better. Even the special effects have been updated and THEY LOOK WAY BETTER!!

Some people have the following concerns:
1) Why is the show being released in a 4:3 format and not 16:9.

Quite simply the show was not filmed for 16:9, from what I understand they did film in with 35mm film but all the scenes, the actor placement, EVERYTHING was setup with 4:3 in mind. According to Mike Okuda sometimes the outer parts of the film have film equipment, crew and other actors standing in them so creating a true 16:9 image is not possible without seriously changing the image or using a computer to remove actors, equipment on the 16:9 image. Anyone who watched this show growing up will understand that TV was just not filmed in 16:9 back in those days, NO ONE had a widescreen TV, they just didn't exist yet! So obviously TV studios did not bother with it. So get over it. This is how TNG was meant to be seen.

2) Why are they calling this HD when it is only 4:3.

Aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3, 16:9) does NOT indicate HD. The amount of resolution does. In essence the image is 1080p but the other edges of the screen are just black. Consider some of the big movies these days. The blu ray releases STILL have black bars on the top or bottom. Do you know why? Because the image does NOT fit your widescreen TV. Now that we have widescreens we can have the opportunity to see our favorite movies the way we saw then in the theatre (i.e. no cropping). Before widescreens companies would cut the sides and use a technique called Pan and Scan to fit it to your TV. However, since movie theater screens are STILL a bigger aspect ratio than our wide screen TVs we still have black bars on our movies. This TNG Blu Ray release is still HD even though it is 4:3.

Overall, This is a great sampler disc for any TNG fan and should help you weather the wait until the season 1 box set comes out later this yet. Great video, great audio!! Can't wait till season 1 comes out!!
on February 23, 2012
Simply great. Hope that the complete seasons won't be too expensive.

The hd is remarkable. The old fx look great. Looking forward for seasons 3 and up !
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 1, 2012
I am a fan of ST:TNG, never bought the full series on DVD but have seen a few episodes. The picture quality on this is substantially improved over the DVD version, not grainy in the least. The sound also seems well done though it was really the image quality that I noticed more.

My biggest complaint is that this is still 4:3 aspect ratio. Perhaps that is a limitation due to how it was originally filmed. I do not pretend to understand the process of remastering this to Bluray, but 16:9 would have been a nice touch.

For a teaser it was well done. 3 Episodes total (Encounter at Farpoint part 1 and 2 (first episode), Sins of the Father (Worf) and the one where Picard plays a flute or something). Based on this sample disc, I could see myself taking the plunge and purchasing the complete set when it is released to Bluray.
on May 1, 2013
I don't know if I only watched TNG on a crappy old TV but The Next Level on my big tv with surround sound is worth the cost by itself. The sound of the engines of the ship is absolutely amazing. And the cleaned up/fixed up video was pretty good too. I'm not sure why they included some clunky episodes but overall, well worth it.
on January 2, 2013
Great transformation to blue ray on this disk. My favourite is the Inner Light, having seen it many times, but never like this. From the opening credits to the end, it was so clear!