Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health Care Paperback – Apr 1 2006
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Much of the isolation can be attributed to the nature of the disciplines that have evolved to ask and answer questions about health, illness, and the health care system. Epidemiology has been the primary tool wielded by the medical profession in quest of the causes of disease and illness. Its application however, has been narrow, with little appreciation of the complex of political, economic, and social factors that set the state for the onset of disease and illness. The emerging field of social epidemiology is a favourable counterweight to this tradition.
Sociology has made major contributions to understanding the causes of illness and the experience by different groups of disease and illness by casting a wider net for the factors that explain health, illness, and the organization of health services. It has however, been less concerned with identifying the forces that drive these different experiences of health and illness. Like epidemiology, there has been relatively little penetration of concepts and understanding into the sociology of health from the study of public policy and its implications for solving the problems epidemiologists and sociologists identify.Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Public Health
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Healthcare
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences