Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative Paperback – Feb 28 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Immersing yourself in Steal Like an Artist is as fine an investment in the life of your mind as you can hope to make.” – TheAtlantic.com
“Steal Like An Artist is an actually readable manifesto on how to properly squeeze your brain-juices and unlock your potential.” -- Thrillist
From the Back Cover
- Steal like an artist.
- Don’t wait until you know who you are to get started.
- Write the book you want to read.
- Use your hands.
- Side projects and hobbies are important.
- The secret: do good work and share it with people.
- Geography is no longer our master.
- Be nice. (The world is a small town.)
- Be boring. (It’s the only way to get work done.)
- Creativity is subtraction.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The ideas presented are simple: write every idea down, take naps, collect ideas to steal, get outside, and find hobbies as examples. All easy to implement no matter who you are and what you do.
If you buy this book expecting a fun little read then you will be happy. It is a great reminder of some basic creative principles many of us forget as we get busy in our businesses/lives.
In his thought-provoking book, Ignore Everybody, Hugh MacLeod identifies and discusses a total of 40 "keys to creativity" and, of course, the first is to Ignore Everybody. Taken literally, that would include both MacLeod and Kleon. However, in each of his several books, MacLeod duly acknowledges his appreciation of countless others who have helped him to become the best Hugh MacLeod he could be. My own opinion is that Kleon has a similar objective: To help his reader think more creatively about becoming more creative by introducing his reader to a variety of different perspectives that will help the reader to become more alert, more aware, of how to live a more productive, a more enjoyable, a more fulfilling life.
The quotations he includes are indeed excellent. Several have become classic insights. Here is a representative selection:
o "Art is theft." Pablo Picasso
o "The only art I'll ever study is stuff that I can steal from." David Bowie
o "What is originality? Undetected plagiarism.Read more ›
However, I felt the information listed, would have been more appropriate in a Blog or magazine article. The entire book is at best, a fifteen minute read.
Most recent customer reviews
Love this book. Quick read and awesome tips. Speedy delivery. Excellent condition. Will order again.Thank you.Published 21 days ago by monique eves
This is motivating. Just what I needed right now. Can't wait to read his other book "Show your work!".Published 2 months ago by StaW
I was very disappointed with the binding. Many pages fell out as I was reading it. I would have sent back a more expensive book as it should have been returned for a refund. Read morePublished 4 months ago by O Fay Minifie
An awesome book - a quick read and full of insight and wisdom for artists everywherePublished 4 months ago by mkoudis
This is a book I think I will read at least yearly...great find, glad it was recommended.Published 8 months ago by Jill Amanda Clark
Not what I was expecting but even better. Simple ideas. Great quotes. Can be read in a sitting and revisited 1000 times.Published 9 months ago by Gord McKenna
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Design & Decorative Arts
- Books > Arts & Photography > Reference > Study & Teaching
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Crafts & Hobbies > Colouring Books for Grown-Ups
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Creativity & Genius
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Personal Transformation
- Books > Self-Help > Art Therapy & Relaxation
- Books > Self-Help > Creativity
- Books > Self-Help > Personal Transformation