- Save 5% each on Qualifying items offered by 5A/30 Entertainment when you purchase 1 or more. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Deal of the Day: "DC Starter Pack (Arrow Season 1, Gotham Season 1, The Flash Season 1)" for $49.99
For one day only: The DC Starter Pack is at a one day special price. Offer valid on July 26, 2016, applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.ca, and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.ca site. Learn more.
Special Offers and Product Promotions
From the Back Cover
Stella (Melina Mecouri), a fiery singer with an insatiable appetite for men, defies the rules of conventional morality by refusing to marry. Determined to keep her independence, she discards her timid lover (Alekos Alexandrakis) and begins a torrid affair with Miltos (George Foundas), a brash local football hero who satisfies her hunger for unbridled passion. But when Miltos forces a marriage proposal upon her, Stella faces losing the freedom she desperately craves. The first Greek film to achieve international recognition, Stella confirmed Michael Cacoyannis' talents as a director of exceptional originality and vision. Shot on location in and around Athens, the film featured some of the most provocative and realistically shot love scenes of the times.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
17 December 2003: I had never seen a Greek film before, and Stella made me realize how that was my loss. In one of the most lovable characters ever depicted, Melina Mercouri plays the boisterous character of a night-club singer who's spirit cannot be curbed. The film is light years ahead of its peers and compares with films such as Cabaret which was made decades later.
• Even though some of the filmmaking is technically crude, the Director's vision shines through and Stella's motivations are painstakingly established with the skill of an auteur. Greek culture with its boisterous cacophony is showcased with pride, as we discover that Stella despite her frolicking ways sets herself the highest standards of integrity and is one of the most honest people you will ever meet.
• The plot is in no real hurry, and ambles along primarily because there are few sub-plots to drive the narrative. But even as we come to the end of the film, a gloom palls over as we realize that we're headed into a deadlock and the film cannot end in hunky-dory fashion, even though we wish it to.
• The interaction between Stella and her would-be mother-in-law is particularly heart-warming because of the honesty of their mutual distaste for each other.
• The character of the footballer is well etched out and as the narrative progresses, we get the sense that the same stubbornness with which he so successfully woos Stella is at some point bound to boomerang on the couple.
• I found the camera angles particularly maverick and avant garde for 1955, and there's a particular scene near the climax whether the inter-cut close-ups of the two characters build up a rhythm.Read more ›
Based on the play, Stella with the Red Gloves by Iakovos Kambanellis. Melina Mercouri stars in her debut film role as a bouzouki singer and dancer who abhors marriage, defies the rules of conventional morality and pays for a freedom denied her by the men who love her. Michael Cacoyannis' second film. "Melina Mercouri [is] beautifully controlled...There is a pervasive sense of atmosphere that allows the characters to become an organic part of the streets and the houses used for location (the scene with Stella triumphantly riding an open truck to show the neighbors her lover's gift is among the funniest and best observed) and the folklore material (chiefly bouzouki dances and music by Manos Hatzidakis) is dexterously used to enliven the plot" (International Film Guide).Excellent soundtrack! Music by Manos Hatzidakis, played by a folk orchestra conducted by Vasilis Tsitsanis.
Most recent customer reviews
The movie is highly influenced by the Greek culture
of the 30's known as 'rebetism'. This was
a mixture of mainland Greek culture with the culture
of Greeks thrown... Read more
One of the most sought-out movies is finally out on DVD!!! I do not understand why a B&W DVD with MONO sound and NO digital remastering should cost that much. Read morePublished on Aug. 10 2000
The masterpiece of Michalis Kakoyiannis based on Iakovos Kampanelis theatrical play "Stella". Melina Merkouri in one of the best roles of her career. Read morePublished on July 15 2000
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Country > Greece
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Classics
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Drama
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Genre > Romance
- Movies & TV > Classics > International
- Movies & TV > Drama > Love & Romance > Love Triangle
- Movies & TV > Drama > Love & Romance > Romance
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Drama