Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply Paperback – Jan 1 2000
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A leading thinker who has eloquently blended her views on the environment, agriculture, spirituality, and women's rights into a powerful philosophy." -- Utne Reader
"One of the world's most prominent radical scientists." -- The Guardian
"Shiva...has devoted her life to fighting for the rights of the ordinary people of India...her fierce intellect and her disarmingly friendly, accessible manner have made her a valuable advocate for people all over the developing world." -- Ms. Magazine
"Vandana Shiva is a burst of creative energy and intellectual power." -- The Progressive
Shiva's Biopiracy was named a "Break-Through Book" on Intellectual Property in Lingua Franca in July/August 1999 issue. -- The Publisher
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
First, Shiva points out that many of the productivity gains attributable to the Green Revolution were achieved by dramatically increased inputs of fertilizer, seed and water. When one compares units of input with units of output, however, native practices produce higher yields -- especially when one takes into account the multiple uses derived from a single product.
For example, mustard oil is a vital product used by many of India's poor for cooking, seasoning, medicine and other uses. But it has been banned by the Indian government (under highly suspicious circumstances) in order to allow imports of soybean oil products. While giant corporations benefit from expanded sales, native industries have been destroyed, contibuting to poverty and malnourishment.
Shiva discusses the commercial fishing and aquaculture (shrimp farming) practices that inevitably result in environmental destruction and reduced catches. She compares this short-sighted approach with traditional Indian fishing techniques that have successfully sustained themselves for generations while protecting important ecosystems such as mangrove forests.
Shiva discusses corporate patenting of seeds, which insidiously transforms the cooperative ethic of seed sharing into a criminal offense.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
This book does have alot of facts in it - but I was a little disappointed that most of the book covers India, and not so much about the rest of the world. Read morePublished 15 months ago by Laura O'Reilly
this is a great book, i highly recomend it. i must warn you its not for the weak stomached, this book will CHANGE your view on the food you eat. Read morePublished on Sept. 29 2001 by Jon
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Environmental Economics
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 20th Century
- Books > History > United States > 20th Century
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > International > Relations
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Food Sciences
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Agronomy
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Food Science
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > United States
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Agriculture
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > International Relations