Compare Offers on Amazon
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
Strangers with Candy: The Complete Second Season [Import]
Deal of the Day: "DC Starter Pack (Arrow Season 1, Gotham Season 1, The Flash Season 1)" for $49.99
For one day only: The DC Starter Pack is at a one day special price. Offer valid on July 26, 2016, applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.ca, and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.ca site. Learn more.
Strangers with Candy: The Complete Second Season [Import]
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
in an age where the vast majority of non-sitcom comedy shows are parody humor (i.e. SNL, MadTV) it's a breathe of fresh air to see something so inventive, creative, and politically incorrect; the central theme to this show is the satiring of the "after-school special" mentality; where in the end, the protagonist discovers some new enlightening, cathartic revelation about life and everything is okay again, but it's much more complex than that. the writers toss in some of the most bizarre dialogue, often laced with double negatives and contradictions (such as "must be great to hope for the things you wish you wanted", etc ...)
all in all, this show is certainly not for everyone. as amy sedaris (jerri blank) said herself in an interview: "I'm glad everyone doesn't like it, that would mean i was doing something wrong." amen.
This second season is a marked improvement from the first season when the writers were still finding their footing and developing the characters. They now are blossoming into flowers that smell as good as mace, and are as powerful. I'm looking forward to the third season DVD when things get even better.
Season Two has Jerri dealing with the death of her father, conquering her illiteracy, reclaiming her virginity (or trying to), and befriending a blind student, among other things, all in the show's shockingly hilarious style. Season One is just as good, but by Season Three the quality of the episodes was starting to diminish. Season Two also has a few lackluster episodes but there are more classics than duds. Fans of edgy, satirical comedy will not be disappointed.
I was a huge fan of the show when it was on Comedy Central and taped all of the episodes, but as my tapes are getting worn down I am so relieved that the show has come to DVD! I had worried that the show did not have a wide enough following to warrant a DVD release, but thank god it has been released. The special features are great too as it is always a pleasure to hear these very funny and creative minds talk about their work.
1) Yes You Can't! - During Career Week at Flatpoint Mr. Jellineck quits to follow his dreams of being a painter, while Jerri tries to discover just what her dreams are.
2) Behind Blank Eyes - Jerri falls for an ambitious blind boy named Alan who, despite staunch opposition from the school, aspires to play football for Flatpoint High.
3) The Virgin Jerri - Jerri reclaims her virginity and fights with her animal instincts as a date with a notorious cherry popper threatens to end her mission of purity before it's begun.
4) The Goodbye Guy - The Blanks are stricken with a death in the family, and now Jerri must learn how to deal with the loss of an important figure in her life.
5) Hit and Run - Jerri and Mr. Noblet must deal with intense guilt after playing a part in a horrible hit and run accident which has robbed Mr. Jellineck of his most prized possession, his own face.
6) The Blank Page - With dreams of becoming a cheerleader, Jerri attempts to learn how to read, and overcome the shame of her illiteracy.
7) To Love, Honor, and Pretend - The lines of reality begin to blur during a fake marriage exercise in Health Class led by Coach Wolf and Mr. Jellineck who act as an example of a "good marriage" for students, including a clueless Jerri, to follow.
8) The Blank Stare Part 1 - Looking for love in all the wrong places, Jerri drops out of Flatpoint High for a freaky cult.
9) The Blank Stare Part 2 - The Flatpoint faculty kidnaps Jerri in a desperate attempt to deprogram her from a cult clone back into a high school drone.
10) A Price Too High for Riches - When an expensive sneaker takes Flatpoint by storm, a financially challanged Jerri learns that sometimes money is a girl's best friend.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
This DVD had me in tears laughing! This is a hill-air-ee-us program!! If your a fan of subversive humor, you will not be able to stop watching this!!! Cant wait for season 3.Published on June 21 2004 by littleghost56
Thats right,A CLASSIC!I just loved the Strangers with Candy tv show and I own both season 1 and 2 on DVD.All that's left to say is,BRING ON SEASON THREE ON DVD!!!!!!Published on May 22 2004 by C. Triolo
This show is brilliant. It is a delightful twist on the heavy-handed ABC After School Specials of the 70's. Read morePublished on May 17 2004
This is my favorite TV show of all time. Amy Sedaris kicks ass!! I recommend this DVD and Season 1 to everyone.....Let's see Season 3 come out on DVD soon!!!!Published on May 2 2004 by HorrorMovieLover
The second season is a bit more polished than the first (the actors seem to have grown into their characters), while not being as...tired...as the third. Read morePublished on April 22 2004
The first 4 or 5 shows of the first season were good, but something went away after that. It never really got the edge back. And Amy Sedaris is a one track pony. Read morePublished on April 12 2004
The first 4 or 5 shows were good, but something went away after that. It never really got the edge back. And Amy Sedaris is a one track pony. And she gets old after a while. Read morePublished on April 12 2004
I love this show, it is probably the funniest show ever aired on comedy central besides South Park and Dave Chapelle. Read morePublished on Feb. 27 2004 by Wyatt G
If you love early John Waters, you will love Starngers with Candy! I mean how can you argue with a woman who sya "Babies don't cost money--they MAKE money. Read morePublished on Feb. 17 2004 by Robert Cooksey