- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Student's Guide to Japanese American Genealogy Hardcover – Jan 17 1996
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The author of this fine guide has managed to pack an amazing amount of information on general genealogical research and Japanese-American genealogical research into one concise, readable volume. . . . Yamaguchi includes an extensive list of resources that focus on Japanese culture. . . . Approximately the first half of the book gives historical background about the immigration of Japanese to the United States . . . Yamaguchi sets the stage for some of the difficulties presented to today's researchers in eliciting information about these families during World War II. . . . most of the information given would be helpful for any genealogy project. Particularly helpful are the addresses of the National Archives centers (including the days and hours that they are open); sample pedigree and family charts; suggestions on how to use primary source documents such as photographs; tips for interviews, audio taping or video taping. Yamaguchi des an especially nice job with reminding teens to be considerate and thoughtful when interviewing family members whose memories might be painful or distressing. . . . Although titled a student's guide, Japanese Genealogy would be equally useful of librarians, history teachers, or anyone interested in genealogy. A television production teacher could even use the videotape interview guidelines as lesson plans, they are so well-written." -- VOYA, August 1996
About the Author
YOGI YAMAGUCHI is the author of Face of a Stranger, a novel. He currently lives in New York City, where he works in the publishing industry.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Biographies > Mulitcultural
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reference
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Cultural Studies > Sociology
- Books > Education & Reference > Genealogy
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Asian American
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History
- Books > Textbooks > Reference