Sylvania SDVD9104 9-Inch Dual Screen DVD Player with USB/SD Card Reader (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Dual 9-Inch Widescreen Portable DVD Player with 16:9 TFT Color Display with USB/SD Card Reader
- Easy to Assemble Seat Back Mounting system
- DVD DVD+-R/RW CD CD-R/RW MP3 and JPEG compatible
- Stereo Audio output stereo Earphone; Includes; earphones, remote control, AC Adapter, mounting accessories
- Media: Electronics
- Item Quantity: 1
Enjoy your movies on the road with two widescreen 9-Inch LCDs. With 2 large 9-Inch screens no more squinting to see the screens! Play your movies and music in your car via DVD or through the built in USB/SD/MMC/MS Card reader! The Sylvania SDVD9104 dual DVD Portable DVD player features two 9-Inch TFT 16:9 LCD display screens that let you indulge in enjoying your DVD movies, music and photos on the road. Installs and mounts easily for in-car enjoyment and includes car adaptor and mounting straps, plus has AC adaptor, built-in stereo speakers, and headphone jack for personal enjoyment. Also included is a remote control and a deluxe carrying/car bag.
Top Customer Reviews
The kids loved it.
It is easy to assemble and has an adaptor to plug into
a car cigarette lighter port.
The quality of the picture is fine.
For the price, this can't be beat.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Initially I was looking for 9 inch screens. I was afraid the 7 inch would be too small. I was wrong. The 7 inch screens are more than adequete for my 3 and 6 year old.
The main deciding factors for purchasing this product over the others were the sd/usb capability and the 5 hour battery. This is the only portable system I could find with sd/usb capability. It also happened to be one of the cheapest. Yay! The difficulty in accessing the dvd player wasn't really a concern of mine, because I honestly didn't plan on using it. It's so much easier to insert the sd card preloaded with multiple movies especially in a vehicle. Personally I used 2 4gb card with 4-5 movies per card. To my utter delight, when the first movie was finished, it automatically started the next movie on the card!!! So great for long car rides.
I chose this model with the battery over the cheaper one, because I didn't like the idea that I was going to have to restart the movie every time I got gas or turned off my vehicle. The battery takes care of this and continues to play the movie while pumping, however, it only continues to play the movie on the main screen. Luckily the extra screen that turned off, was in front of my 6 year old and there were no major meltdowns or tantrums. She just leaned over and watched her sisters screen for a few minutes.
The mounting system is a basic velcro type strap mounting. Nothing fancy, but I wasn't needing or expecting it to be. It holds the tv's to the headrest. It would have been a pain to access the dvd player, had I been using the dvd player, but so would inserting a new dvd every hour and a half. Trust me, preload a sd card, I think it can read up to a 16gb, but don't quote me, with as many movies as you can, and don't even mess with the dvd player. No worries about bumps and skipping either.
The picture quality is okay. It's not the best I've ever seen, but it's not bad either. The viewing angles are also good. My son crawled back there and watched with them at one point. The sound output is great. My older daughter wore her headphones most of the time, but my younger one only lasted a few hours with them on. It's a big van though, so I could listen to the radio in the front, while they listened to their movies in the back with very little bleeding between.
All in all, I loved this product. Could it be better, sure, but then it wouldn't be $109. It is an excellent value and well worth the quiet peaceful roadtrip I had. I would definitely recommend.
1. Cost - for the price you get 2 large screen portable players with the capability to play DVD's as well as the ability to play movies off a SD card or USB stick. (See cons for thoughts on video formats.)
2. Accessories - It comes with a remote. This is not listed on the product description (at least when I bought it) and is a big plus for me. Not many other brands offer remotes. It also includes a car and wall adapter, cable adapter for hooking in an RCA jack source, and a carry bag I didn't much care for. (it was clear)
3. Video Quality - For a portable DVD player it is pretty good. Shows do not appear grainy to my eyes and are relatively sharp with good color quality. Let's be honest, it's not a 120 Mhz LED backlit flatscreen, but if you were expecting that I would like to invite you to join us back at a place we call reality.
4. Battery - This player includes a battery in the master unit that keeps the unit playing even when the car is turned off. I'm not sure how long it lasts but for short stops it's great. Also several prior reviews state the battery does not run the slave unit. This is not true. If they are connected together the battery will power the second screen. The slave unit unfortunately does not have a battery of it's own.
4. Mounting Straps - Several reviews state you cannot open the player with the headrest straps on. This is totally false! The straps slide through pegs mounted in the case on the back and do not disrupt accessing the disc door.
1. Cord Length - The cable between the 2 units is short and if you have a three year old who likes to kick cables this could be a problem with it stretched temptingly between the seats.
2. Video formats - The unit comes with an SD slot and usb slot so you can play videos from either of these devices and skip the DVD's. This is a huge plus and one of the few players I found that have it. Unfortunately there are NO included instructions to specify the video formats supported! The following is what I have determined through multiple trial and error attempts and much frustration.
Supported container formats: AVI, MPG, DIVX, ie files ending in .AVI, .mpg, and .divx or .dvx will be recognized by the device.
Unsupported container formats (the device won't even see these files): .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .mkv, .qt, and .wmv
Using these container formats encoding with any of the following codecs works: mpeg-4 (divx/xvid compatible), mpeg-2, and the Divx codec. I am not sure if h.264 works but prior reviews have indicated not and I would be surprised if these units have the horsepower for that.
Also I have found 640x480 resolution works well for video files on this size screen. also I use a bitrate of about 1500.
3. DVD door is tight. The spring on the dvd door is rather strong and tries to push the door open against the latch. As a result it can be a pain to open especially when mounted on a headrest. The solution I found was to squeeze the door closed even more thereby releasing the tension and then the latch slides easily.
Unknowns: I have owned these units for a little over a month and they have held up well to 2 kids under six. How long they will last........I'm not sure.
-Plays from SD Card
-Has mounting system for car
As other reviewers have mentioned, it really could use some documentation on the types of video it plays back. After a bunch of trial and error, I found the following:
-Does not playback h264.
-Recognizes .avi and .mp4.
-Will play xvid through .avi container.
-I couldn't get the .mpg extensions to work, but other folks said they could. Not sure what setting I had wrong.
-Needs to be widescreen (720x480). Other sizes refuse to play
-MPEG4 through a .mp4 container works. AAC audio works. 1200 bitrate works, but I suspect a bit higher is ok as well. I just wanted my files to be a bit smaller to fit a couple more movies on the SD card.
Not sure about the quality. They seem solid enough now, but time will tell.
The mounting system is of questionable design. The straps to hold it to the seat back go around the front of the player, and can get in the way of the door if you don't get them positioned just right. It will open, however, if the straps are in the right place. But, there's nothing really to keep them in the right place, so they can easily move to be in the way.
Viewing angles are really bad. I suppose it doesn't matter for a car since the viewer is locked into a fairly static viewing angle, and there are 2 screens one for each back seat viewer. I was a bit surprised though, since I haven't seen a screen this bad in probably 10 years or more.
Lack of playback resume is another subtle flaw. Ok for long trips, questionable for short ones unless you want to skip scene a lot.
Until it failed. Only used for less than 15 hours and then the main screen failed. Not too much longer and the remote screen then became too dark to use.
Really, too bad. The card was great, price was good, and let me get rid of a bunch of space wasting (and easily damaged) dvds.
good screen size for car/truck. dvd is hatch style so it can be removed power off. 5 hour lithium battery made good use of outside of car. has av out so it is possible to hook this up to a tv. I used a 32 gb sd card and 16 gb usb and loaded them full of dvd rips some mine some borrowed and all but 2 worked as is. I also used it as an mp3 player in our beach house. has speaker and headphone jacks but with the av out I was able to play it through speakers at home. Red box makes this convenient and easy to supply with new dvd's. Has both car adapter and wall adapter for power.
screen is not the most vibrant. it is a little pixelated when in menu screens but adequate watching dvd's, or ripped avi and mp4's. Dvd power supply is necessary for second screen to work. mounting system works but not elegant nor convenient for dvd changing. sound isn't loud enough so a good pair of headphones is needed when car driver wants to listen to music. 6 year old may through tantrum when 11 year old wants to watch 6 hours straight of Glee --- go figure.
I would definitely recommend these at the price I paid 110$ . The cables could be seen as a con but I found them to be ok. If you are looking for a way to use a usb or sd card to make your drive more hassle free. These are great!