Do's and Taboos Around The World Paperback – Jun 18 1993
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The ultimate guide to international behavior???now completely updated and expanded!
"Roger Axtell is an international Emily Post." The New Yorker "Can help you make friends [and] avoid travel trouble." BusinessWeek "Helpful...fun to read..." Steve Birnbaum
The first two editions of Do's and Taboos Around the World helped thousands of high-powered executives and tourists avoid the missteps and misunderstandings that plague the world traveler. This updated and expanded Third Edition provides even more facts, tips, and cautionary talesgleaned from the experiences of more than five hundred international business travelersas well as:
- Information on protocol, customs, and etiquette; hand gestures and body language; tipping; American jargon; and the international communications crisis
- Up-to-date advice on dealing with the monumental changes in Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe, the People's Republic of China, and other locales
- A new chapter on business gift-giving and gift-receiving customs, with country-by-country gift suggestions and precautions
- A special quick reference guide to customs and mores in 96 countries, including revisions and updates from foreign embassies and consulates
About the Author
ROGER E. AXTELL, retired Vice President of Worldwide Marketing for the Parker Pen Company, spent 30 years living and traveling abroad. He is now a professional after-dinner speaker and seminar leader whose audiences laugh while they learn about embarrassing anecdotes, goofs, gaffes, and behavior on five continents.
Top Customer Reviews
The book is categorized according to country, and includes cartoon type illustrations of face gestures, hand and arm gestures, and what they mean. In some countries the same gesture has a completely different meaning, which anyone who uses a lot of body language would do well to learn.
The section on Graceful Gift Giving brings valuable insight so as not to insult anyone from different lands, as gift giving is viewed in different ways according to different cultures.
Whether you are going on a business trip, or are traveling for academics or adventure overseas, it is important to learn the customs of each country.
On a personal note, if you ever go to the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, do NOT sit on the rock from which Mohammed Ascended (as I innocently did to pray for world peace) because you can be murdered or jailed for that alone - unless you happen to have a professor who is fluent in Arabic that saves you from harsh penalties, which I was fortunate enough to have. ASK about the Sacred sites in Sacred lands BEFORE you attempt to touch or sit on anything.
Do's and Taboos also provides commonly used terms spelled out phonetically from many lands, so that you can converse among the locals graciously.
Highly recommended for all international travelers.
Barbara Rose, author of, 'Individual Power' and 'If God Was Like Man'
Most recent customer reviews
No book is more need then this book in question, e.g., Do's and Taboos Around the World by Roger E. Axtell (Editor). Read morePublished on July 31 2001
This is just the guide that I was looking for before I began a new round of international travel. The tips have been priceless.Published on May 31 2000 by Alex
Although it is couched in humor and packed with adventurous tales, this book covers a serious subject! Read morePublished on Oct. 22 1998
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Business Life > Etiquette
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Exports & Imports
- Books > Business & Investing > International
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Exports & Imports
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Guidebooks