countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care home Kindle sports Tools

on June 26, 2016
Cant go wrong with the Seuss
on August 2, 2017
How can you quibble with the Doctor. Hey, maybe "quibbles" would be a good creature for another book!
on May 9, 2017
Very pleased with the book, good quality. I had it as a kid, so happy that I could get them for my children.
on October 21, 2003
I was so disapointed in this book! My son (at age 2) loved this book in the original form we had; but he was a bit rough on it & I had to tape our copy a few times! So I searched everywhere for a board book version, and was so happy when I found one. I bought it without reading it first (which I almost never do) and was so disapointed in the quality! The pictures are poorly drawn (I think some of them may even be drawn by someone other than Dr. Seuss? maybe the original drawings could not be reprinted or something) and the rhymes were changed. They are awkward and I can't see why they needed to be changed in the first place! For example, changing "Feet in the morning...Feet at night" to "Feet in the day...Feet in the night". This is poor english, and what was wrong with it the way Dr. Seuss wrote it? Twice, they changed "Feet, feet, feet...how many, many feet you meet" to "how many different feet you meet". Again, why? It just sounds better the other way. And finally, why change "slow feet..quick feet...trick feet...sick feet" to "well feet"? It doesn't even make sense- what are Well Feet? The picture is a dog juggling balls- doing a "trick"! I am surprised that the Seuss trustees, who are usually so protective of Dr. Seuss' work would OK this book.
on November 16, 2001
We've had this book since my son was born and he just loves it! I can repeat it from memory we've read it so often!!! The story is fun and educational. The pictures are bright and fun to look at! Its Dr Seuss, what more can I say?
on October 15, 2003
The Foot Book is terrific, but be sure that you buy the 32 page white-covered version, not one of the inferior board books.
My children have loved this book since 6 months. The story is very simple - it shows all different kinds of feet, from wet feet and dry feet to fuzzy fur feet. There aren't many words on each page, so there is lots of page turning to keep the youngest kids interest. Dr. Seuss used a sing-song rhyme, which reads quickly and is very soothing. We read it over and over again.
The artwork is classic Suess, with a focus on feet!
I credit The Foot Book with fostering my children's love of books. At just 12 months my daughter will bring the book to me and climb into my lap for a reading. (Fair warning - you will know this book by heart!)
My older child was bored with this book by about age 2, because it is so simple, but is now enjoying it again as I read it to her sister, and I think it will be a popular choice when she starts learning to read.
My recommendation is to get this book early and enjoy it often!
on June 7, 2002
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures - "Up feet. Down feet. Here come clown feet. Small feet. Big feet. Here come pig feet." An excellent educational tool, "Dr. Seuss's, The Foot Book," is an inspired introduction to contrary concepts, left verses, right and just plain silliness through rhyme. It is GREAT fun for children and reader alike.
I own the "adapted" board book edition as well, which is designed to appeal to newborns, and very young children with short attention spans who are not attentive enough for the full text versions. The text, format, and images have been adapted to accommodate board book standards; yet, the phrasing and prose still flow. That being said, the original is just that - ORIGINAL. It is more amusing, entertaining, and educational, but is appropriate for older children, 3 years and older. If your child is three or older purchase an original version, otherwise think of introducing your infant to the shorter, travel-anywhere format, and procure the original at a later date? The marvelous, magical magician, who was Dr. Seuss, is worth it! Three-years and up.
on October 15, 2003
The original hardcover The Foot Book is absolutely awesome, but I had a lot of trouble finding it to buy on Amazon (it has a white cover, not green). For some reason the only versions that came up in my search were the board books. My daughterss have loved this book since they were 6 months old (one is now 12 months and the other is 3 1/2), and my copy is very tired.
Be aware that this version only has 12 pages and has stickers and flaps, which get torn and make a mess. If you're looking for the original version, click on "hardcover edition" on this page and you're all set.
I can't see any reason to purchase the shortened, board book version of this classic unless you're concerned with torn pages. There aren't many words on each page, and the rhymey, sing-song story is short enough to hold your child's attention for the entire book. We read this book together for storytime, and put the sturdier books into the crib for play.
The Foot Book belongs in every small child's library, but go with the real deal, not this dumbed-down version.
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. The Foot Book was one of her picks.
Dr. Seuss understood the elements of a successful early reader: Lots of repetition, visual adjectives, and hilarious drawings to tie it all together and keep the child racing forward. The Foot Book is perhaps his most successful basic reader.
But what makes this book even more remarkable is that it teaches basic concepts as well such as left versus right (that most chidren are sorting out at this age), high and low, front and back, and counting.
I was further impressed by the obvious encouragement for children to notice feet, and become better observers. You can follow up in this way with your child by asking her or him what was noticed that day about feet.
Please note that this book is quite different from the board book that came out with a similar title in 1996. Avoid that one, and use this one instead.
Have a ball with feet!
on June 7, 2002
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures. Geeezz, that's hard to read aloud. "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is an inspired introduction to contrary concepts, such as left verses right, and just plain silliness through rhyme. Wet/dry, high/low, front/back, and well/sick... you get the gist. William LOVED this book when he was a baby. He especially liked the pig page.
"Up feet, down feet, here come clown feet.
Small feet, big feet, here come pig feet."
It's a quick read. It takes less than a minute to complete, although, we'd sit for 5-minutes or more just talking about the illustrations. If you've ever read an original Seuss, then you know what I mean when I say they are whimsical, and colorful. Of course, I am partial to Seuss's illustrated works, rather than the books he wrote and others illustrated for him, such as "The Eye Book". His caricatures are silly, almost fantasy like. He doesn't use a lot of color on each page; however, the overall effect is upbeat, and always entertaining.
"The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is NOT a miniature version of Seuss's, "The Foot Book". The text, and images have been adapted from the original to accommodate board book standards. Yet, the phrasing and prose flow, as is apparent from the above excerpt.
There has been a great deal of controversy regarding these little books. It seems, others think the publisher, has infringed upon the copyright laws. When these "Bright and Early BOARD Books" were released in 2001, the titles, and the covers were the same as the originals. Some were confused, and even angered. Apparently, they thought they were buying smaller, yet full-text copies of the originals. It clearly states they are adapted formats on the back of the cover, so I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Random House has since altered the titles, and covers to indicate the modifications. For instance, "The Foot Book" has a white cover, while "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" has a green background even though the image is the same.
I, for one, was thrilled to have the opportunity to offer my infant son a CLASSIC Seuss narrative, even in it's ADAPTED form. These magical miniatures are delightfully entertaining for little babies. Especially for those who enjoy the positive interaction of cooperative play through reading. The objective of these small books is to appeal to newborns, and very young children who are not attentive enough for the full-text versions. They are NOT meant to replace the originals. Moreover, these pocketsize gems are fashioned for effortless travel to the market, on a plane, in the car, or on a train. Hee, hee... that's my own Seuss inspired rhyme. Birth and up.
Happy Reading,