Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on November 16, 2017
Excellent reading. No wonder it was made into a movie. I saw the movie before reading the book, and as usually the case the book is better than the movie, at least more inclusive..
on December 5, 2017
Very good read,
on November 12, 2011
Mystery at it's finest,love DeMille's sense of humour and his quips.A great read for having an understanding of sexual depravity I think. A General that put his title before his family.
on September 6, 2016
I find that too much peripheral detail confuses the plot somewhat.
on April 8, 2003
Not into reading mysteries...but book was given to me from a co-worker. So I felt it may be good.
Capt. Paul Brenner of the Criminal Investigation Division, along with Cynthia Sunhill are located in the deep south at Fort Hadley, GA. Paul is there as an undercover supply sergeant, trying to solve a case about Dalbert Elkins, who has been supplying arms to Cuban Freedom Fighters.
However, something more pressing comes up, when the General's Daughter, Ann Campbell is found dead and naked on the rifle range.
So, Paul and Cynthia, who have had a past, team up to solve this mystery. Lots of suspects with no motives. We find that Ann has a past, and one that has been haunting both her and her family. Paul stumbles upon this in her basement, and the story is set. By interviewing several of her acquaintences, the blurry trail to the murderer becomes clearer. And they have a couple of days to finish, as the FBI, will then take over the investigation.
Written in first person, Paul Brenner. A well thought out mystery, that keeps you guessing as to who killed Ann Campbell and why. Demille develops his characters well, each with varying personalities. Very descriptive with words...although this leads some of the dislikes.
Obviously...the language, and description of the sex/rape/murder scenes. If it wasn't for this, the book would have scored 4 stars.
Finally...would not recommend this book to family or friends because of the language and sexual content. Too bad we cannot have an edited version...which would not take anything away from the story. But given that it is a mystery surrounding the rape/murder of a woman...what can you expect?
Based on this...will skip watching the movie, unless it is on network TV.
on October 13, 2000
For all of the oceans of ink spilled on serious criticism and Top 100 lists, there's still something viscerally satisfying about a good straightforward read like The General's Daughter. After all, if it weren't for fare like this, what would we do for beach & airplane books? Luckily there are guys like Nelson DeMille cranking them out. DeMille, who won a Bronze Star in Viet Nam, has written a couple of excellent books, I especially liked By the Rivers of Babylon and Cathedral, though I've read some others that I didn't like as much. I'd recommend this one.
General's Daughter opens with Captain Ann Campbell, a West Point honors graduate and daughter of the general of the base, staked out, raped and strangled in an artillery field. Wisecracking investigator Paul Brenner of the Criminal Investigation Division and rape specialist Cynthia Sunhill, his former lover, team up to solve the crime. Turns out the General's daughter has a pretty sordid past, which makes just about every male at Fort Hadley a suspect. This profusion of suspects combines with normal Army red tape and extraordinary reticence about scandal, to form the basis of a briskly plotted procedural.
The solution to the mystery is pretty pedestrian and Brenner's a little too much of a wise guy, but the story hums along and DeMille does us all a favor by not piling on multiple melodramatic conclusions. He tells his story and then wraps it up neatly. The one thing I really liked was Brenner's righteous indignation at the despicable conduct of his Army brethren. At least in this novel, the sense of military honor is not dead.
Accept this novel on its own terms and you'll enjoy it.
on September 28, 2003
After reading 'The Gold Coast' I got a hold of a bunch of DeMille's books. He is a master and this one is no exception, however it is a different type of book than what I expected, perhaps because I started with 'The Gold Coast'.
I had seen the movie before I read this book, so I kind of had an idea what the subject matter would be, however, they are different enough that the book was still very enjoyable, in fact, I rented the movie again and didn't like it as much.
"The General's Daughter" is well written and the lead character is instantly likable, something DeMille seems to be very talented at because in this and other books I've read, I've noticed that I get into the protagonist's head almost from page one. DeMille himself must be a real character, I can't imagine that he makes his lead characters totally out of thin air, they are too believable.
This book is a great murder mystery and suspense novel, but it is also just a great novel because it gets the reader into the mind of the character so well. I highly recommend this work to anyone that enjoys mysteries, suspense, or military fiction.
on April 5, 2000
After reading this, I had one question: "How did this thing hit the big screen?"
After reading the book, I watched the movie. The visual version was plain awful, while the book had some decent qualities, but was still less than satisfying.
The book is about a General's daughter that is murdered in shocking style. CID officers Paul Brenner and ? (I actually forgot Madeline Stowe's character name already) get the case. Of course, they are former lovers that hate each other first, but soon start getting along. It doesn't take them long to find out that the General's daughter has romanced everybody in the state of Georgia, and therefore the suspect list is long. The premise is okay, but the overall story is weak. The motives behind what happened are implausible at best and downright silly at worst. Worse yet is the killer all but introduces himself to you in the early going, and by the time it is made "official", there is no mystery or suspense at all. The book drags at times, and I found myself skipping pages. All in all, it was on the level of your typical Grisham tale, which is to say it was pretty weak. I wouldn't recommend it.
This was my 3rd Demille. Plum Island was so-so, and The Charm School was awesome. I am trying Babylon now and I have Gold Coast on the shelf. If Babylon stinks, then I won't bother with Gold Coast or anything else by him.
on September 19, 2002
The bizarre circumstances surrounding the death of a female military officer found at the scene of the crime pale in comparison to the motive and events leading up to her untimely demise. Just when dear reader thinks he has just about read it all and the story should conclude, here comes another strange fact to twist the overall story with perverse circumstance. Unfortunately, Demille fails to know when enough is enough and by the time the story concludes, we are glad to get it over with more so than know the outcome.
Having read four Demille books, I must admit that my interest in this author has completely disintegrated. The stories all seem fit for a television screenplay and satisfy the impatient, fast and cheap thrill nature of those who would prefer to see something on television rather than read the book. Even considering the somewhat original nature of this tale, the overall presentation seems mediocre, at best.
on February 6, 2003
Well this makes my third novel by Mr. Demille and I must say it was a winner, however the main charactor Paul Brenner, just didn't have the gusto that my Buddy John Corey had from Plum Island and The Lion's Game. Brenner was funny and whitty, but he wasn't laugh out loud funny. But I will admit I thought the mystery was well thought out and exucuted just as well. Demille was able to turn a death of a woman and peal away many layers of curroption to reveal the dirt within the high brass of the Army. I did enjoy the descriptions of a military base and the way brenner would say "UNDER THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE," which for me being a former Marine brought back memories of an over zealous 1st. Lt who would always lay that line on me and my mates. Drove us Crazy. Anyway I did like The General's Daughter the novel and the movie how ever the book is better as is usually the case. I recommend it.