There Is No Eye Paperback – Apr 1 2003
Back to University 2016
Save on College Prep Essentials on Amazon.ca. Shop now
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Cohen is a photographer whose talents are put to excellent use in part because he finds himself in the right place at the right time, recording shared qualities within such widely dispersed locales as Greenwich Village's "Beat" scene, high-altitude Andean villages, and storefront churches. Cohen was a fixture in the 1950s folk-music revival (he was the guitarist in the trio The New Lost City Ramblers), who also happened to have a camera and a deeply inquisitive disposition at his service. The lyrical and moving work that resulted is collected for the first time in this monograph. The most appealing by-product of Cohen's densely textured black-and-white images is an ecumenical message that people everywhere will find ways to interpret and adapt to life by means both creative and life-giving. This message is visible in the slightly askew beer bottle in the pocket of a faceless Peruvian trumpeter, the artist Red Grooms ferrying a large painting across Third Avenue in a pram, and production stills from Robert Frank's beat opus Pull My Daisy. Many famous faces make an appearance: the crumpled forehead of Jack Kerouac, an impish Bob Dylan, a diffident Franz Kline, and a tousled, aging Woody Guthrie. However, the real meat of this fine and inspiring work is the depiction of unknown toilers in Cohen's family of man. Douglas F. Smith, Oakland P.L.
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > History
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Photo Essays
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Photojournalism
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Bluegrass
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Country
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture