countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

If you asked me to recommend to you the single best book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
First published in 1937, this is the end product of two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill. His research started when Andrew Carnegie (the steel tycoon who was then the richest man on earth) gave him the assignment of organizing a Philosophy of Personal Achievement. Hill, who was a poor journalist, armed with just an introductory letter from Carnegie, set out to interview over five hundred successful people including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, John D. Rockefeller, George Eastman, William Wrigley Jr. and Charles M. Schwab. Hill then revealed the priceless wisdom of his research in the form of the thirteen steps to success (in Think and Grow Rich) and the seventeen principles of success (in courses and lectures he conducted).
The concepts taught by Napoleon Hill transformed my life. Some of these include developing a definite purpose, building a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA), channeling the power of the sub-conscious mind and dealing with adversity. Everything he wrote about or talked about is thought provoking. He was wise, humble and funny. His philosophy is universal; he did not mix it with religion. The riches he referred to were more than money, for the Philosophy of Personal Achievement can be applied to anything in life.
Hill was well ahead of his time. This book has a chapter dedicated to some of today's most important issues - Specialized Knowledge, Decision Making, Imagination and Organized Planning (in which he deals with Leadership). He also has principles for Teamwork, Creative Vision, Health, etc.
This is a classic, and hence the examples are old (not to be confused with outdated). But they are as relevant today as they were in the early twentieth century. Here is an example from T&GR in the chapter on Desire:
On the morning after the Great Fire of Chicago (1871), a group of merchants on Chicago's State Street went into a conference to decide whether to rebuild their stores or leave Chicago. All but one decided to leave. The merchant who decided to stay pointed a finger to the remains of his store and said "Gentlemen, on that very spot I will build the world's greatest store, no matter how many times it may burn down." His name was Marshall Field and his store still exists, and in Hill's words is "a towering monument to that state of mind known as a burning desire." I lived in Chicago from 2002 through 2004 and worked three blocks away from this impressive store on State Street. Sometimes I would visit it or stand outside it to derive inspiration and be reminded of the power of desire. It is amazing that Hill describes "burning desire" with a story based on the Chicago Fire.
There are thousands of self-help books out in the market and hundreds of self proclaimed "gurus" who have made a living by copying the wisdom in Hill's books. As I went through some of those books I realized that there was not much in them that Hill had not already written about. I recommend quality over quantity. Instead of reading through many books, I recommend that you study the following works of Hill and internalize his wisdom:
1. The Think and Grow Rich Action Pack (1937) - I recommend the Action Pack edition,
2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,
3. Your Right To Be Rich [Unabridged] - this consists of 12 hours of live lectures covering the 17 principles, that Hill conducted in Chicago in 1954.
By internalizing, I mean studying in depth - analyzing the ideas, making notes and summaries. I own more CDs by Hill, but I believe that these 3 items make the perfect study plan on the Philosophy of Personal Achievement.
I am greatly indebted to Napoleon Hill. The purpose of my writing this is to spread awareness of his work so that more people can benefit from it. This, I believe is the best way in which Hill would have liked to have been repaid.
0Comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2006
I bought this book with high, but nervous expectations. It's one of several new editions published recently. I was looking forward to seeing how this book had been "revised and updated" for the 21st century. What I found was a terrible hatchet and cut-and-paste job on Napoleon Hill's classic book. The editor completely destroys the rhythm and flow of Dr. Hill's ideas by inserting contemporary examples at the end of Hill's chapters. It's a travesty. We don't need a "21st century version" of "Think and Grow Rich." The one that has worked so well all these many years is still the best. If someone wants to publish a 21st century book, they should simply write an entirely new one. Even minor revisions of a classic like "Think and Grow Rich," to eliminate outdated language or to correct errors, should be undertaken with the utmost care and respect for the original. When the project is over, it should still be entirely Napoleon Hill's book.
on June 12, 2006
I have read many hundreds of books over the past 14 years in my quest for success. Think and Grow Rich stands at the top. It has made a positive impact on my life that is second to none. To the degree that I have applied the principles in this book, I have reaped incredible results.

As I was going through this new edition for the first time, I was comparing it to an old original edition that I have. The editor, Ross Cornwell, has stayed true to the original, especially compared to some other editions. It is amazing to me some of the text that was left out of the other editions. Some of that information is incredibly powerful.

I can imagine how difficult it was to revise the book while staying true to Napoleon Hill. We all have our biases and opinions. I don't necessarily agree with every thing Napoleon Hill said, but when I read Think and Grow Rich, I want to trust that I am reading what Hill meant to say and not what someone thought he meant or thought he should have meant.

The sad part is when someone comes across one of the other editions, they will read it and not really be reading the true Think and Grow Rich, and they won't even know it. This new edition has done it justice, and where the editor interpreted

what Hill meant or would mean (in the endnotes), he clearly states this, and that is key.

I believe Mr. Cornwell is doing a great thing by getting this information out there in its true and intended form for other people, because the principles explained in this book have produced, in me, an inner strength and confidence that has allowed for massive growth in all areas of my life. I have a long way to go to reach my full potential, but these principles have put me on the upward path. I truly believe I can become and achieve anything I TRULY desire because of what I learned from Think and Grow Rich!.
on June 9, 2004
I know that they are many personal development books and tapes and seminars and other programs. But in all my years I have never seen anything that delivers like Think and Grow Rich does.
To be honest, it took me awhile to figure out the secret that Hill was taking about. Of course, I found some people who still haven't figured it out. Perhaps they are the people giving this great book 1 stars.
Not a big book, Think and Grow Rich is only 230 pages and 15 chapters. What sold me on buying this book (I used to hate these self books and thought they were too Pollyannaish) was when I read that Clement Stone turned $100 into over $36 million by following the principles in this book.
At the time I first heard about this book, I was flat broke and deepling debt. That all changed and quickly thanks to following the principles in Think and Grow Rich.
To me the 6 step self confidence formula on page 36 coupled with the chapter on autosuggestion did the most for me. I also memorized the poem on page 38 and would say it outloud on my way to sales calls while driving in my car. Drivers next to me on the road found me very entertaining I suppose...but I found this simple exercise very beneficial to me.
Think and Grow Rich had a profound effect on my life. I cannot recommend this book or any book by Napolean Hill for that matter highly enough. They are life changing and powerful.
on July 3, 2006
I bought this book two years ago. It turned my life around. Following the principles Napoleon Hill teaches in this great book enabled me to overcome a serious, long-term drinking problem, in a matter of weeks. It also gave me the courage to quit a dead end job and start my own business. Not a week goes by that I don't pick up this book and re-read a section related to some problem that has come up. I also re-study a chapter and the endnotes each week to keep my motivation hitting on all cylinders. When I finish, I start over again with the first chapter. I will read this book and study it in this fashion for the rest of my life, just as I do with my Bible. Those two resources are the blueprint and the foundation for leading a purposeful, meaningful life. I give copies of Think and Grow Rich to people whom I think it will help. I recommend it to anyone who is seeking the key to success in life in all its aspects.
on June 7, 2006
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve." --Napoleon Hill

1. Think and Grow Rich

2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success : The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,

Some have criticized Hill's work by stating that his research was unscientific. They pass him up for Jim Collins (whose "Good to Great" dedicates 76 out of its 300 pages to research methodology and notes that hardly anybody ever reads) or Marcus Buckingham (whose "First Break..." similarly uses 25 pages for Gallup's Meta Analysis and what not). These people don't know what they are missing.

on January 4, 2017
One of the first personal development books I've read and still one of the best. This book was written a long time ago so at times the examples are a bit out dated but the message still sinks in and napoleon hill is one of the true positive thinking masterminds and teaches. Definitely worth reading and will positively change your perspective on life.
on April 24, 2013
I read this book over thirty years ago. I thought, naively at the time, that there would be a secret on a particular page that would transform my life. When I had finished it I thought I must have missed something for I didn't come away with a secret. What I didn't know was that I had learned the secret. It wasn't until years later after having the book come into my life on different occasions that I realized how powerful this little book is. It won't tell you to do A or move to B but what it will have you do is THINK. Life presents options every day. How you react can make the difference that this book suggests.
I have long thought that financial education is the key to your future but I am only partially right. This book, with the thought it requires, can change your future. An entrepreneur has the drive to make things happen. He/she has a vision and works towards it and the result is (hopefully) success. If you hadn't been thinking like that before then this book will rock your world if you embrace it.
Think and Grow Rich is not just the title it is a mantra for change. Enjoy !
This review was written for the original version, which is the core of this version. This revised edition has more recent examples. If my review was helpful to you, I request you to select "Yes" so that the rating is improved and more readers will get to read it. Please also see the website of the Napoleon Hill Foundation, naphill dot org, which has helpful resources.
...the teacher will appear. Napoleon Hill encourages readers to go through this book at least three times. Solid advice, for there is a lot to chew on here.

First, you must know what it is that you want. As the publisher notes, "The riches within your grasp cannot always be measured in money." Get a clear picture of your definition of riches. Second, you must keep an eye open for opportunity, and be prepared to apply this material to transform thought into rewards.

20 years of research are crammed into these pages. You will learn six steps to stimulate your subconscious mind to turn desire into gold, a five step self-confidence formula, the 31 major causes of failure, how to train yourself to be persistent, how to multiply your brain power through a Master Mind group, the power of sex transmutation, the secret of effective prayer, and how to identify and conquer fear.

Do not aim to understand and apply all of these concepts in one trip through the book. Some of the ideas presented here take a while to absorb. Treat it like a buffet, sampling some of the familiar and comfortable in the first wave, while trying some of the new ideas as well. Look to understand and apply more with each read. As you progress, you will see evidence of the truth behind each chapter.

Henry Ford said, "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it." This is not always an easy read. The concepts aren't trendy and easy to apply, so some are likely to dismiss them. But if you take the time to study this book, apply the principles and really start *thinking* right, you will grow rich(...)