No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Three Little Tamales Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 32 pages|
50 Kindle Books for $2 Each
Treat yourself to a new book. These 50 Kindle titles are just $2 each through the end of the month. Learn more
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Not only is the story fun to read and exceptionally well designed and presented, but this is a chance to provide cultural exchanges for children at the highest and most accessible level! Very well done. Grady Harp, May 13
=== I'll huff and I'll puff
=== like a Texas tornado
=== and blow your casita
=== from here to Laredo!
Argentinian artist Valeria Docampo (The Library Pages), is ready to mark her mark on the American market. Her winsome illustrations, rendered in oil, make this story. Señor Lobo here seems very much inspired by Wile E. Coyote, while I prefer the Big Bad Wolf characterization from Little Red Hot.
Perhaps this retelling is not quite as original in its unoriginality as some of Kimmel's other efforts. My favorite "Three Little Pigs" is still The True Story of the Three Little Pigs from fractured fairly tale king Jon Scieszka.
A picture book needs to be fun to read so that children will want to re-read it. This language in this book is part prose and part poetry. There is a glossary at the front to help pronounce the Spanish words.
The illustration in pictures books should match the text. The illustrator Valeria Decampo has created multicolored pictures of scenes that help the reader visualize the story. Even the end pages have cactus drawings. This book has pictures that children will want to copy and make stories of their own.
I can see so many uses for this picture book. First just to enjoy reading the story, second it would make a great reader's theater. If you are a teacher with a fairy tale thematic unit or stories with a Texas theme or Mexican heritage unit, then you need this book. There are a few references to Laredo and a Texas tornado, but other than that this book could be in any state where there is corn or sagebrush.
I like this book so much that I will be looking for Eric Kimmel's other book about the runaway tortilla.
As usual, the illustrations are really cute. The Three Little Tamales are adorable and Señor Lobo is perfect. Unfortunately, the story is just The Three Little Pigs. I kept waiting for something different that would set it apart, but there really wasn't anything. Replace the pigs with tamales. Replace the materials used for the houses with materials available in the Southwest and that's about it.
I appreciate the integration of Southwest and Latino culture/language into the story and the little repeated poem in the book was cute, but there were no surprises for the resident five-year-old (or her mom).
Still a cute book, but missing that spark that I'm used to from the author!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Amazon Publishing > Children's Books
- Books > Children's Books > Animals > Foxes & Wolves
- Books > Children's Books > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Multicultural Stories > Hispanic & Latino
- Kindle Store > Amazon Publishing in English
- Kindle Store > English Language Store
- Kindle Store > Kindle Exclusives
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > Children's Books > Animals > Foxes & Wolves
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > Children's Books > Literature > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths
- Kindle Store > Kindle Unlimited > Children's Books > People & Places > Multicultural Stories > Hispanic & Latino
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's Books > Animals > Foxes & Wolves
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's Books > Literature > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's Books > People & Places > Multicultural Stories > Hispanic & Latino